7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

New here & just got my coop today so I'll be getting chicks soon for my very first flock. I have been watching this thread & I loved seeing everyone's chicks, horses, ducks, goats, adult chickens, pigeon & everything in between. I would post a pic of our Sea Monkeys but I do not believe they would show up very well. Congrats on all the new chicks hatched & so sorry for everyone who lost some.

Last edited:
My little quail aren't fluffy anymore. They are starting to get feathers. They grow up so fast. lol They are only a week and one day old. (I had to look at my post and that is what it said
gig.gif
)
I think this is my final count: 2 quail chicks out of 23 quail eggs and 0 chickens out of 6 chicken eggs. Oh and I am incubating more eggs 19 chicken eggs and 51 quail eggs to be exact...

Last edited:
Well, I'd rather have the worst hatch ever than bury baby chicks. I've had the worst post-hatch success after a very bad hatch... I thought I was done after losing 5 chicks, but I have another one that is not right - I think its blind. Did very well in the temp brooder right after hatch with the other chicks, but increasingly a FTT over the last 2 days. Responds well to sounds, and will drink when placed by water, but does not find way back on own. Initially did very well following/moving with the other chicks, but as this one is getting weaker cannot keep up. I've had a few very long days at work - but was first concerned yesterday night when I got home. I've been able to spend more time with it and watch it this evening - I'd rather not hatch an egg than lose 50% of the hatched eggs :-(
hit.gif
Use this to help figure out what happened:

What do you mean? Is it hard to incubate them with good results in general? :)

The brown coating is so thick that they often have problems evaporating enough liquid. Some people use vinegar and a paper towel to lift some of the brown coating so the egg can breath more. It is done just before placing it in the incubator. Other people have had success by using the dry hatching method to get a better hatch with the super dark eggs.

Back
Top Bottom