7wk Rooster Help

Stamphappy

In the Brooder
Feb 14, 2018
Massachusetts
Hello, New to raising chickens here..... I have a 7 1/2wk frizzle rooster I have a question about. Everything I’ve read says roosters don’t start to crow until 4-5mo, but in the morning it sounds like he is trying to crow, but it is VERY raspy sounding. He is otherwise completely fine, that I can tell. Is it normal to start crowing so young? And does it normally sound raspy when they start? Thanks!

I took a video, but it won’t let me post it

Hello, New to raising chickens here..... I have a 7 1/2wk frizzle rooster I have a question about. Everything I’ve read says roosters don’t start to crow until 4-5mo, but in the morning it sounds like he is trying to crow, but it is VERY raspy sounding. He is otherwise completely fine, that I can tell. Is it normal to start crowing so young? And does it normally sound raspy when they start? Thanks!

Yes roosters sound really weird when they first start to crow. :D I have heard others say their rooster started crowing early. I haven't heard one crowing before 12 weeks though. :)

I have a bantam rooster that crowed at 4.5 weeks. I was told that this is not abnormal. I don't know about your breed. Enjoy!

My first little cockerel crowed at 3 weeks. I was shocked. He may have a raspy sound due to a respiratory problem, so watch for any other signs. Hopefully it is normal for him.

Keep an eye on his breathing, making sure that there is no moisture that can cause mold and fungal infection. Good overhead air circulation, clean dry bedding, changed often to prevent ammonia odors are good to promote health. Probiotics are good a few times a week, and if your feed does not have them, you can give some. Those will help with overall gut health.

I have had bantam roosters crow while still in the brooder - not at all unusual behavior. The scratchy raspy sound is also quite normal. Just think of a young boy entering puberty with his voice changing.

I have had bantam roosters crow while still in the brooder - not at all unusual behavior. The scratchy raspy sound is also quite normal. Just think of a young boy entering puberty with his voice changing.
Yes! That’s what I told my husband it probably was (voice change/like puberty).... I didn’t hear it myself for a few days, his peeping was different, changing, but seemingly normal. I didn’t realize he was talking about crowing until I heard it early this morning when I woke the boy up! Hahaha

My first little cockerel crowed at 3 weeks. I was shocked. He may have a raspy sound due to a respiratory problem, so watch for any other signs. Hopefully it is normal for him.

Keep an eye on his breathing, making sure that there is no moisture that can cause mold and fungal infection. Good overhead air circulation, clean dry bedding, changed often to prevent ammonia odors are good to promote health. Probiotics are good a few times a week, and if your feed does not have them, you can give some. Those will help with overall gut health.
Thank you! 3wks!!! Crazy!

Back
Top Bottom