1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

8 1/2 week old roo started crowing

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by owler, Jan 7, 2011.

1. owler

owler Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2010
    Northen NJ
    ...or trying to crow. Very funny.

I ordered one RIR roo with my batch and ended up with two RIR roos and one EE roo. I had just finished the morning duties and closed the coop door. Then I heard this very strange and comical sound coming from the coop. I immediately opened the door and the EE roo was standing by the door by himself. All the other chickens were frozen against the far wall. They appeared to be startled and saying the same thing I was. "What the heck was that"?

I heard two more attempts on my way back to the house.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  2. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    My favorite Cochin cockeral started his crow attempt this week too at 7 weeks old! I thought someone was chocking at first. [​IMG]

It is quite comical that the babies think they are big and bad! Hahaha!

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    my black sex link/RIR cross started to crow at 5 weeks. He already has a hugh comb and wattles.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The chicks in my ginormous brooder are a mix of breeds, LF and bantam, and "straight run" as I hatched them. At 3 weeks, one of the Cochins started to crow. They're now 9 weeks old and he is the most mature of them all and obviously the Boss of The Brooder. Getting pretty good at crowing, too!

5. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    I have a cockarel here at the farm that started crowing a few weeks ago.

He needs to take a deeper breath though! He runs out of air before the crow is over and sometimes ends in a coughing fit (no he's not ill). [​IMG]

Cocka-doodle-Hack-hack-hack!![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I've had one crow at 1 day old and a month old before! Sounds so funny! I have a Black Brahma roo that sounds like he's clearing his throat when he crows! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by