8 - 10 wk old roo has head down between legs and shakes it. Cant stand, pushes backwards

Mother Bird

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 18, 2012
Blue Ball, Pennsylvania
Ike is a cochin roo about 9 weeks old. Good eater and friendly until a couple days ago he "looked like he was picking at his feet", as described by my husband ... I was out of town.
When I checked on him, he was tipped over (never too sure footed with big feathery feet), had his head tucked way down between his feet, was shaking/rolling his head. When I try to stand him he tucks and pushes backwards with his legs and falls. He also has an open/red area on his back leg and side of rump...I think from where his head/bill was hitting against him or from what he was pushed up against.
I was clueless and scared. I bathed him in warm water with Dawn. Put hydrogen peroxide, followed by antibiotic ointment on the open area. Bound him in a towel with only his head out to keep him upright and pulled an antibiotic of my own (left over) from my medicine cabinet, crushed it in water and got some down him. He is in a separate box from his buddy, Tina.
He made it through the night and day. A friend suggested Corid, which I started him on around 6:30 pm tonight. He's eating and drinking (but water seems to mostly roll back out), so I mix the food with it. I put it in Tina's water too.
He still has all the symptoms above. Poop from the day looked pretty good. Anyone have any other ideas on what this may be or how to treat. He eats plain, un-medicated started feed.

Ike is a cochin roo about 9 weeks old. Good eater and friendly until a couple days ago he "looked like he was picking at his feet", as described by my husband ... I was out of town.
When I checked on him, he was tipped over (never too sure footed with big feathery feet), had his head tucked way down between his feet, was shaking/rolling his head. When I try to stand him he tucks and pushes backwards with his legs and falls. He also has an open/red area on his back leg and side of rump...I think from where his head/bill was hitting against him or from what he was pushed up against.
I was clueless and scared. I bathed him in warm water with Dawn. Put hydrogen peroxide, followed by antibiotic ointment on the open area. Bound him in a towel with only his head out to keep him upright and pulled an antibiotic of my own (left over) from my medicine cabinet, crushed it in water and got some down him. He is in a separate box from his buddy, Tina.
He made it through the night and day. A friend suggested Corid, which I started him on around 6:30 pm tonight. He's eating and drinking (but water seems to mostly roll back out), so I mix the food with it. I put it in Tina's water too.
He still has all the symptoms above. Poop from the day looked pretty good. Anyone have any other ideas on what this may be or how to treat. He eats  plain, un-medicated started feed.

You can give him some nutridrench or some baby liquid vitamins without iron just in case it is a vitamin deficiency.

I've added the liquid vitamins. He is still alive and fairly strong, but all the symptoms remain. I have a dropper and put about 1ml of the liquid vitamin into his beak. I also put it in his food, which he was eating at least some of it. Should I give Corid directly into his beak too? I had put it in his food and water, but know he didn't eat/drink it all. He did get some, but I'm really unsure how much to give and if I dilute it or not...? If either is helping, how long before I should see improvement?

I closed your other thread. Please stick to one place so we can help you.

Why are you giving antibiotic AND Corid? Why do you think he has cocci? I see no symptoms of cocci listed here. And no respiratory symptoms, either.

Stop the peroxide. That kills living tissue. If he has a wound (how did he get that?), use regular antibiotic ointment on it with no "caine" pain killers like benzocaine in it as those can be fatal to birds.

You should stop the meds, IMO. Nothing you described indicates need for those. This sounds more neurological than anything else to me.

Last edited:
I started a new thread because I only had one brief reply to the first one and no follow up. I'm new to this site and didn't know what else to do to get people to read it...sorry...

I was told by a woman I got some chics from, who was kind enough to look up what I described, and said she thought it may be cocci and to give the corid. So I did.

When I first discovered him, all I could think to do was bathe him, look him over good, clean the open area I found and treat with neosporin. I also felt, since it looked infected, that an antibiotic would help. He was in very bad condition and I was pretty sure he would die, so I thought the antibiotic would either help, or speed up his death. It actually seemes to help... a little. I had stopped it when I started the corid. Then I heard from others and read other posts that sounded similar, to give vitamins, so I added that with the corid. When I saw no improvement since Wed., I thought maybe it was best to give the antibiotic as that was the only thing that seemed to have any impact at all. I gave another dose of the antibiotic and vitamins just a couple hours ago...no corid with it. I know it did seemed like I was mixing quite a cocktail there, but not as bad as it sounded.

I just bathed him again in warm salt water. He is eating as I type, starter feed mixed with water. He's a lot stonger than when I found him, but still has the symptoms.

Are you saying to stop everything? I have to do something to help him. He has a strong will...

Ike seems a little better today. I unbound him and put him on the floor. He still puts his head down and shakes/rolls it and pushes/walks backward...but not constantly! He stood unassisted for brief periods, and also sat and rested for a little while. I put food in front of him and he goes for it...but he has eaten well throughout all this.
The open/abraded area seems better also. I reapplied neosporin. I've decided to continue with the vitamins and the antibiotic (not corid) since once again, I see some improvement after administering it. He was apparently lacking vitamins since his food was not medicated (didn't know I could get medicated feed).
While watching him this morning, I noticed his behavior seemed like spasms or seizure activity. Not as apparent before since the behavior was non-stop. He also seems more relaxed. I agree, this does have signs of something neurological....possibly, but I'm still puzzled by the open area. I have to factor that in...
More research ahead I guess. Would love to hear from anyone who has seen this or something similar...

I found the article pasted below. It has some interesting similarities....open area, falling, responce to antibiotics and vitamins. I thought it was worth posting...
I dont se selenium on my vitamins ingredients...is this a feed store product or OTC available?

Vitamin E Deficiency, Encephalomalacia, Exudative Diathesis, Muscular Dystrophy

Extracted From:
A Pocket Guide to
Poultry Health
and
Disease

By Paul McMullin
00a9.png
Click Here to
Order Your Copy
Introduction

A spectrum of diseases of chickens and turkeys, occasionally ducklings and other birds, seen worldwide, characterised by oxidation of various tissues and caused by Vitamin E deficiency. The problem is associated with feed rancidity typically in diets with high fat. Encephalomalacia and exudative diathesis tends to be seen in young birds of 1-5 weeks of age. Muscular dystrophy is seen more frequently in older and mature birds.
Signs

• Imbalance.
  • Staggering.
  • Uncontrolled movements.
  • Falling over.
  • Paralysis.
  • Ventral oedema.
  • Green wings.
Post-mortem lesions

• Swollen cerebellum with areas of congestion.
  • Haemorrhage.
  • Necrosis.
  • Blood-stained or greenish subcutaneous oedema.
  • Steatitis.
  • White streaks in muscle.
Diagnosis

Signs, lesions, feed rancidity, histopathology, response to medication. Differentiate from Encephalomyelitis, toxicities, necrotic dermatitis.
Treatment

Vitamin E and/or selenium in feed and/or water. Broad-spectrum antibiotics where there are extensive skin lesions.
Prevention

Proper levels of vitamin E, selenium, antioxidant, good quality raw materials.

By the way...
The antibiotic is cefprozil - broad spectrum. For people, but I'm giving very small doses. The open area shows signs of healing!
Now I need to get vitamin E and selenium. I think I may be on to something!!!

hope your roo is feeling better. ... i have no experience in this area whatsoever but i think if you are able to, take your roo to the vet, the one that is at least an avian vet. im also trying to pump up your thread so those that have experiences in this area will be able to give you their thoughts.
good luck

Back
Top Bottom