8.5 week Silkie x Ameraucana or Legbar chicks - please help me guess gender and parentage

You're certainly right. Comb size is quite deceiving but he is getting cockerel-specific shoulder feathers and even some bright saddle feathers emerging :(
Considering that it’s a mix of breeds, and only have of which I know for certain, I wasn’t even sure what sort of comb to expect. I teased the crest apart to see what looks to be a modified pea comb. It was bigger than small bumps, which at this age for me also solidifies the cockerel conclusion - I just couldn’t see it because of the crest feathers. It’s a shame I can’t keep him, I bet he’ll be pretty as an adult.

Chick 2: bigger crest, noticeable beard, skin around beak was lighter at hatch, but had dark legs, face has become darker over time.
How does the pullet look now?

They’re both silkie x Easter eggers. The cockerel can’t be a Silkie x legbar since he lacks barring.

Looking more like a boy to me with those red shoulders. What do you think? Pictures taken yesterday, chick will be 10 weeks tomorrow.
I am unsure if this is a boy or not. We have two Ameracuna hens that looked quite similar...so much so I thought for certain one was a roo. Idk they are just funny colored ladies they lay pretty blue eggs.

The cockerel has developed more red in his shoulders, as expected, and there’s a lot of gold in his hackles. I’m starting to see a little purple in his comb too.

The pullet, who I named Wren, has gotten some really gorgeous coloring. Her chest is a light brown with a salmon tint that doesn’t show in the pictures. Her head, crest and beard are very dark brown, not quite black. The patterning on her back, wing, and tail feathers shows up ok but they’re more brown in real life. The feathering on her legs is sparse, and you can see the blue earlobe peeking through in the first picture. She’s 14 weeks now.

Attachments

• 51834170-E8CD-49F5-AE47-BCB13F89BAB4.jpeg
    51834170-E8CD-49F5-AE47-BCB13F89BAB4.jpeg
    604.9 KB · Views: 10
  • A7780770-CC02-4651-87D9-85C9DA16C908.jpeg
    A7780770-CC02-4651-87D9-85C9DA16C908.jpeg
    540.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 61B1EC2C-0754-4D24-A5FE-0E407BADEFF1.jpeg
    61B1EC2C-0754-4D24-A5FE-0E407BADEFF1.jpeg
    501.2 KB · Views: 10
The cockerel has developed more red in his shoulders, as expected, and there’s a lot of gold in his hackles. I’m starting to see a little purple in his comb too.

The pullet, who I named Wren, has gotten some really gorgeous coloring. Her chest is a light brown with a salmon tint that doesn’t show in the pictures. Her head, crest and beard are very dark brown, not quite black. The patterning on her back, wing, and tail feathers shows up ok but they’re more brown in real life. The feathering on her legs is sparse, and you can see the blue earlobe peeking through in the first picture. She’s 14 weeks now.
Ah I see...so crowing soon. Your hen is gorgeous! Wonderful cream legbar colors too. The little mohawk legbars have always make me think they need a leather jacket with spikes like little punk rockers 😂.

Ah I see...so crowing soon. Your hen is gorgeous! Wonderful cream legbar colors too. The little mohawk legbars have always make me think they need a leather jacket with spikes like little punk rockers 😂.
I asked on a genetics thread which hen they thought was the mother and they pointed out that this gal is partridge based but Legbars are a duck wing color pattern. That and the full beard indicate that the Ameraucana/EE is the mother. But I do love the crests on the legbars!

Back
Top Bottom