8 - 9 week old Barnvelders, both cockerel?

Thank you all for the feedback! Also wasn't planning anything immediate, I actually regardless of what they are would love to keep them :) See how the next few weeks/months goes. The one suspected to be a male was picked out by my oldest, and he/she almost died as a chick and we were able to save it, so it's had a long road with us already. My wife who by far eat's the most eggs in the house is a bit freaked out at thought of a fertilized egg, so if it is a male, the kids may have more luck then I to convince her to keep it.
If it is a male, you do what's best for you and your wife-- I'm just saying give it a chance, because it would be a shame to give away a pullet by mistake.

Fertilised eggs are no different to unfertilised eggs when you eat them. Don't look any different. Don't taste any different.

It's not like you are going to balut them and feed them to your unsuspecting wife! Tell her to chill out! 🙂

Fertilised eggs are no different to unfertilised eggs when you eat them. Don't look any different. Don't taste any different.

It's not like you are going to balut them and feed them to your unsuspecting wife! Tell her to chill out! 🙂

I suspect she did some googling today as got a "Well if it is a rooster, may be we can keep it around until it becomes a problem" :)

Just wanted to follow up on this as both of them now are 5 going on 6mos old:
1630771943133.png

One in the front (who had me most concerned she was a rooster as developed a comb and a lot of tail feathers compared to the one in the back). I had noticed the last couple weeks she started squatting.

It's not 100% certain as of course she was just out of coop camera frame as was hiding in an area out of sight of the other chickens if they come in (two of them still pick on her a bit) next to the nesting boxes, we found 2 small eggs in the last couple days in a make shift nest. Based on the footage before/after, it was still warm and only one that was there, about 95% certain it's hers.

I was hoping it was the Buff Orpington that had an infection and almost died back in June that hasn't laid again (antibiotics saved her, but vet wants us to watch for possible Peritonitis). But based on the footage, sadly was not her as no where near there at the time before it was laid.

I see two pullets. I think the one with a smaller comb is actually a Dark Cornish. Can you get comb pics?
Strange not sure why I never got this notification for your message. The place I got them from looking at their shipping list, they didn't *intentionally* buy any Dark Cornish at all. However possible mistake from the upstream farm/breeder if true. She's the one in the back.

Strange not sure why I never got this notification for your message. The place I got them from looking at their shipping list, they didn't *intentionally* buy any Dark Cornish at all. However possible mistake from the upstream farm/breeder if true. She's the one in the back.
They're Barnevelders! The patterns of both breeds is quite similar and when young the big indicator is the type of comb! Now that they're older it's much more clear :)

Back
Top Bottom