8-9 week old chicks. Cold weather

TXmama4boys

Songster
10 Years
Jul 4, 2013
Texas Hill Country
Hello! I have 8-9 week old chicks. They are in the chicken coop. Inside if the coop I have a large dog kennel that is wrapped in plastic with a heat lamp In it for them to go in and out of if they get cold. The temperatures have been getting down to the 30s and 40s at night. We built them a roost yesterday. My neighbor is trying to convince me to take the dog kennel out and let them be on their own now. Are they too young to be without a heat lamp and the kennel? It seems as if they are all fully feathered. I just have a barnyard mix of sex links and barred rocks.

Start with leaving the heat off during the day and see how they react. If they are huddling and complaining, they still need a heat source.

They should be fine. We put out 8 - 8 week old ones out when it was in the high 20's and low 30's. They share a coop with three 1 year old ones. Coop is 6t x 6l x 4w with no heat. Shavings on the floor.

Hello! I have 8-9 week old chicks. They are in the chicken coop. Inside if the coop I have a large dog kennel that is wrapped in plastic with a heat lamp In it for them to go in and out of if they get cold. The temperatures have been getting down to the 30s and 40s at night. We built them a roost yesterday. My neighbor is trying to convince me to take the dog kennel out and let them be on their own now. Are they too young to be without a heat lamp and the kennel? It seems as if they are all fully feathered. I just have a barnyard mix of sex links and barred rocks.
For some reason this scares the crap out of me......I hope it's not as dangerous as it sounds.

For some reason this scares the crap out of me......I hope it's not as dangerous as it sounds.

I believe if you saw how my husband had it rigged it would ease your mind. It does sounds scary by how I described it, but there is ventilation, the heat lamp was ziptied, we have a huge dog kennel, and with the lamp on and secured- the temps inside were staying around 65.

If they are feathered its fine. When it's low 30s or lower I haven left the heat lamp I. At night. It is 3 feet above floor and they are fine. 7 week

Back
Top Bottom