8 day old chick with swollen eyeball

livin-green

Songster
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Clay, Alabama
Just found my smallest chick in the brooder with a swollen right eye--was fine last night when I cut the light off for bed (they have a chick warmer). Looks like the eyeball is bulging and maybe every so slightly cloudy. Appears to see out of it fine and there is no watery or goopy discharge. Chick is slightly lethargic, and I have put in a separate brooder for further observation.

Just found it about an hour ago, so I'll answer as many of these as possible:

1) What type of bird , age and weight. chick (Exchequer Leghorn x Olive-egger roo), 8 days

2) What is the behavior, exactly. slightly lethargic but does not appear to be "sickly"

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? just noticed this afternoon, possibly missed this morning when I turned on the light--was definitely fine last night when I cut the light off

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No, all others seem fine

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. Nothing I *know* of, but it is the smallest chick in the brooder--the last to hatch of 7 and all those are also in with 5 other chicks that are 1 week older. Haven't noticed any obvious picking.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Has been in the brooder with the others--not positive how much has been eating &/or drinking, but has plain water and Purina Flockraiser (chick & up feed that is not medicated) at all times. Will have better idea soon since it has been separated.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Again, not sure, yet. Don't see anything bad in brooder.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? No treatment, yet--just separated from others.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Intend to treat at home

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. Will work on getting picture ASAP

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use In brooder (large plastic storage bin with screen top and air holes) with large pine shavings. Use Brinsea EcoGlow brooder warmer--not a heat light.

Back
Top Bottom