Lethargic Hen / Undigested Poop

FernhillMama

In the Brooder
May 2, 2022
My 8 mo old chocolate Orpington started acting lethargic this afternoon. She just isn’t herself-hanging back from the flock when she’s usually in the middle of everything, eating, but not vigorously as is her norm, standing still with eyes closed.

My flock has been showing signs of weight loss and I wormed the lot on Tuesday of this week. Each chicken got 1 pea sized dose of safeguard equine paste. She has lost a good bit of weight.

I have several Orpington so I’m not sure if she’s been laying. All of the eggs look the same and I don’t have cameras in our coop.

1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) 8mo old Choc Orpington. I noticed she feels a lot thinner than she had
2) What is the behavior, exactly. Weight loss among the flock - wormed with safeguard on Tuesday. Today she has been a little lethargic, hanging back from the group, not rushing for snacks as usual. Standing with eyes closed. Slightly messy butt. Poop seems undigested. Bc of flock size, I’m not sure if she has been laying eggs. They all share nest boxes and I have several Orpingtons. Pics to follow.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? I noticed weight loss across flock, but attributed it to change in feed. Had been giving grower/flock raiser crumbles and switched to layer pellets. They all boycotted it. Switched back this week to usual feed and wormed them. She has been acting lethargic today.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? Other birds exhibiting weight loss but I worked the flock Tuesday.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. I have her by herself and she had a little scrambled eggs with shells. She’s not as aggressive as usual when it comes to eating. She doesn’t rush up as usual during snack time. They free range and she’s out there pecking around.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. dark and looks undigested.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Wormed with safeguard Tuesday. Separated her today bc of lethargy.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? No poultry vets in my area so I’ll have to do what needs to be done.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use pine flakes in coop. Recently put the flock into a large fenced enclosure 150’x60’

Attachments

• IMG_4805.jpeg
    IMG_4805.jpeg
    704.9 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4810.jpeg
    IMG_4810.jpeg
    555.5 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4811.jpeg
    IMG_4811.jpeg
    626.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4813.jpeg
    IMG_4813.jpeg
    358.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4814.jpeg
    IMG_4814.jpeg
    481.3 KB · Views: 4
How much Safe-Guard did you give her?

You mentioned snacks...what snacks do you feed regularly and how often are you giving snacks? Daily...a few times a day? How much?

How much Safe-Guard did you give her?

You mentioned snacks...what snacks do you feed regularly and how often are you giving snacks? Daily...a few times a day? How much?
I throw out 3 way scratch to the flock in the morning and at night when we sit out there with the flock. Probably 2 cups in the AM and PM. I’ve got a flock of 32 - 20 hens, 2 roosters, 4 chicks, 4 pullets, 2 cockerels.

My full sized breeds got 1 pea sized dose, bantams got a small pea size of safeguard

I throw out 3 way scratch to the flock in the morning and at night when we sit out there with the flock. Probably 2 cups in the AM and PM. I’ve got a flock of 32 - 20 hens, 2 roosters, 4 chicks, 4 pullets, 2 cockerels.

My full sized breeds got 1 pea sized dose, bantams got a small pea size of safeguard
I'd stop offering scratch daily and only offer it like this once a week.
It is possible this one bird is eating too much of it each day which can cause serious issues.
Getting a balanced diet will help prevent issues caused by eating too much snacks.

A pea size amount is wrong and not enough and will not treat worms.

Please read both of these:

"Pea size" is wrong: The Truth About the "Pea Sized Blob" of Horse Paste De-Wormer
and
Worming Chickens—Medicines and Dosing Information

So just lay off snacks and worm again? Her poop was more brown/runny this morning. I let her graze with the group, but she was still slow and hanging back.

I weighed her for record keeping and to properly dose meds then let her sit in an Epsom bath spa. She seemed to enjoy it and the blow dry I gave to dry her off.

Am going to put her back in her private quarters. She sat in my lap for a long time. She is definitely under the weather.

Back
Top Bottom