8 day old duckling with leg issues, now seems sick

I haven't made it to the store for vet wrap yet so I used some thick string I had on hand similar to yarn. It seems to be helping when the duckling walks but it leans its weight into the string so I think the vet wrap might be softer on its legs.
The duckling seems to be sick this morning, it just wants to lay under the heat plate with its eyes half closed and wouldn't drink when I dipped its bill in nutri-drench water. I don't know how it could be related to the leg issue but it's the only one like that :(.

I put them all in the bathtub in warm water and the sick duckling just floated with its legs stuck back behind it. And I can tell it's not eating much, it's gotten lighter. It swallowed a little water once but other than that I don't think it's drinking much either. I didn't even put the splint back on since it's mostly just laying in one spot and I didn't want to stress it out more.

IMG_20230403_114051_563.jpg

IMG_20230403_113903_312.jpg

IMG_20230403_114035_239.jpg

If it was indeed a birth defect that caused the splay, this poor baby may have other issues. :(
This is also one of the ducklings who was in the brooder when the heat plate came unplugged a week ago. This one seemed the least affected, but maybe it caused more issues than were apparent.

Back
Top Bottom