8 mo old EE still not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rhuxol, Jan 7, 2012.

1. rhuxol

rhuxol Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Petunia is a 8 mo old Easter Egger and not 1 egg has she laid! Do they take longer to start? Other chickens I got at same time of different breed are laying. She was born in April so had all summer and fall, and I supplement light for the winter as the days are rather short right now here--my white rock that is her same age is laying great. She is obviously the brown one in the back of the pic..I was using the Cochin pic for another topic but thought you might want to see Petunia too...thanks!!

[​IMG]

2. HetaChick

HetaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    California
    Well my EE chick hatched in may and started laying right on time BUT her two sisters (who belong not to me but a friend) have still not layer any eggs. Maybe some chickens take longer to mature? But either way it is winter and many hens stop laying then anyways. Less light and all that, if not soon she will probably start laying in spring. Good luck!

(Also your rooster is gorgeous)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  3. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Petunia is pretty too,

I've heard that some EEs take awhile to get started, and if it is cold where you are, she also needs some of her energy to keep warm. That being said---I know that chickens read this forum, and she will probably start tomorrow. ;O)

4. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Petunia is very pretty, but some just take longer than others. Do you have a closer up picture of her, I think she is a hen I just like looking at all the pretty chickens! [​IMG]

5. rhuxol

rhuxol Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2011
    Quote:Here you go..a better pic of Petunia, I never questioned her being a Roo but I guess it's possible?

[​IMG]

6. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Shes definitely a hen, and a very pretty one!

7. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    Do u have a roo, if not she may have taken over for the missing roo. This happens in the absence of the roo. She may be the most valuable hen u have.

8. chickencutie

chickencutie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2010
    Nazareth
    my two EEs took a little longer than my other breeds but both have also stopped laying for the winter. so maybe b/c its winter they just never started??

9. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    She looks a lot like my EE, Pearl. Pearl laid one egg, waited a couple of weeks, laid another, and then (at 32 weeks, I believe) is suddenly kicking out 4-5/week in spite of the short days. So perhaps yours is a late bloomer as well.

10. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    [​IMG]

I didn't read that very well. I was about to say- um, that's definitally a roo and NOT an EE [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by