8 month old Salmon Faverolles with crop issue

Quote: Can you call your vet and ask about testing a fecal sample for parasites, bacteria, and yeast? Also ask about giving subcutaneous fluids.

When you give the fluids, do you have her wrapped in a towel? I ask because any pressure on the crop can make it harder to get fluids into them. Also be sure to heat fluids because cold fluids can cause them to vomit.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Can you call your vet and ask about testing a fecal sample for parasites, bacteria, and yeast? Also ask about giving subcutaneous fluids.

When you give the fluids, do you have her wrapped in a towel? I ask because any pressure on the crop can make it harder to get fluids into them. Also be sure to heat fluids because cold fluids can cause them to vomit.

-Kathy

Yes I sure can get fecal tests done! If the bird can hang on til Monday I will definitely take a sample in. Vet is very responsive to running tests. For which I'm grateful.

And yes when we tubed her she was wrapped in a towel fighting like mad and trying to suck her head into her body. The fluids were tepid, but the postural thing sure could have been a factor. Well tonight she's staying inside at the barn, I think it was too hot in here for her. My chickens live at a riding stable owned and run by an experienced vet tech, so I know she has lots of supplies etc. So for tonight, assuming we don't have sub cutaneous fluids (although she may well have) I'll have her help me tube poor Valerie. I'll go give her crop a feel now and bring her in, it's long enough out there poor thing.

Thanks ever so much!

Tubing fluids is contraindicated in birds with a, but unless you can give them subcutaneous fluids they will probably die if you don't try tubing. Daily water intake should be no less than 5% of the birds body weight, and 10% might be even better.

-Kathy

Thanks!

Yes I sure can get fecal tests done! If the bird can hang on til Monday I will definitely take a sample in. Vet is very responsive to running tests. For which I'm grateful.

And yes when we tubed her she was wrapped in a towel fighting like mad and trying to suck her head into her body. The fluids were tepid, but the postural thing sure could have been a factor. Well tonight she's staying inside at the barn, I think it was too hot in here for her. My chickens live at a riding stable owned and run by an experienced vet tech, so I know she has lots of supplies etc. So for tonight, assuming we don't have sub cutaneous fluids (although she may well have) I'll have her help me tube poor Valerie. I'll go give her crop a feel now and bring her in, it's long enough out there poor thing.

Thanks ever so much!

I use Zip ties on there feet to contain them.Makes it way more easier.

Last edited:
Quote: Probably best not to zip tie the feet together when tube feeding.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Quote: Try the oral fluids again, but this time do it without a towel.

Tell your vet tech friend that subcutaneous in birds is a little trickier than in cats and dogs because of their air sacs. The place I normally give them is on the back like this link shows:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/914094/subcutaneous-fluids-and-injections

Needle must be place very carefully and go in parallel to the bird without nicking the air sac. Your 5 pound bird can probably take 150-200 ml once a day.

-Kathy

Try the oral fluids again, but this time do it without a towel.

Tell your vet tech friend that subcutaneous in birds is a little trickier than in cats and dogs because of their air sacs. The place I normally give them is on the back like this link shows:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/914094/subcutaneous-fluids-and-injections

Needle must be place very carefully and go in parallel to the bird without nicking the air sac. Your 5 pound bird can probably take 150-200 ml once a day.

-Kathy

Thank you! I will show it to her. At this point we'll get some fluid in her and hopefully she makes it to Monday morning and I'll just bring her in. This vet is very kind but imho is quick to cull. That's why i wanted to try to work with her myself. I will keep you posted and again, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom