8 month old Salmon Faverolles with crop issue

No sorry.I saw and heard people that said if you need to contain a chicken ties it feet together with zip ties.I saw someone strapping a chicks foot together with a zip tie for a tylan 50 injectable shot.I just thought it would work both ways if you held them upright so the food gets down.

Last edited:
No sorry.I saw and heard people that said if you need to contain a chicken ties it feet together with zip ties.I saw someone strapping a chicks foot together with a zip tie for a tylan 50 injectable shot.I just thought it would work both ways if you held them upright so the food gets down.

One of the things I have learned is that it's best to post about methods/treatments I have used.

Did you see a video of someone giving the shot, or did you see it in person?

-Kathy

Last edited:

You saw a video of someone tubing a chicken with it's legs tied together?

-Kathy

@MasterOfClucker
did you really see a video of that? Well if there's more than one way to skin cat there's got to be more than one way to tube a chicken!  Have a good night!

I have seen some crazy/dangerous videos on tube feeding, lol. The five videos I have posted about in this thread are the five best I have found so far, and all of them are pretty close to how I do it. Since I do them myself, without help, they are not *exactly* the same, but they are pretty close.

-Kathy

Do you have a link to that? If it's a YouTube video,I'd like to leave a comment on it.

-Kathy

Just edited my post with the link.There are a few more videos like this too.She did a lot of things wrong in the video could've been done better.

Last edited:
If the crop is impacted it needs to be massaged every few hours to work the food/liquid through her system. Otherwise adding more fluid to an already overfull crop will make her worse.

If the crop is impacted it needs to be massaged every few hours to work the food/liquid through her system.  Otherwise adding more fluid to an already overfull crop will make her worse.

One must figure out why the crop clearing, and there are many things that can cause this.

-Kathy

One must figure out why the crop clearing, and there are many things that can cause this.

-Kathy

Hi! I was trying to reply to the last 2 posts, oh well. So today we tubed her twice, she's still alive but getting weaker and weaker. Yes, the crop has been massaged and massaged, it never was overfull. It just never cleared, and the pooping went way down. I believe I under did it on the hydration. Overnight last night there were a few almost normal looking poos, only about 1/2 size. I assumed that was positive, but poor Valerie is miserable and smells horrible, so I'm calling the vet tomorrow. There is infection or something going on, and if the vet thinks she wants to euthanize, then I will have the state lab do a necropsy and will post the results. I will post tomorrow and report what the vet says, assuming the chicken vet is working tomorrow! My fingers are crossed! Thank you so much everyone for your kind help, it's made a horrible situation more bearable!

Back
Top Bottom