8 month old Salmon Faverolles with crop issue

Sadly little miss Valerie did not survive the night. I took her to the vet and they're shipping her off for necropsy. I will post the results which I should have in about a week. Thanks again @casportpony , @MasterOfClucker , @JanetMarie and whoever else commented on the previous pages.

Sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

Sorry for you loss.

-Kathy

Sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

Thank you all for your kindness! Today I got the pathology report. It is as follows:

The carcass of an 8 month old female Salmon Faverolles chicken was submitted for laboratory evaluation. The bird is in good body condition. She weighs 1508 grams.

The crop is full and distended. The contents of the upper portion of the crop are a mix of scratch, cracked corn and eggshells. The lower half of the crop is filled with grass. The gizzard is dilated filled with fiber or grassy material. This grassy material is intertwined and blocks the opening from the gizzard to the duodenum. Three to four centimeters of the first half of the duodenum is dilated and completely filled with this undigested fiber or grass. The liver is pale and the left hepatic lobe is friable.

The ovary is completely regressed and out of production.

GROSS DIAGNOSES: Gizzard impaction

COMMENTS: Obstruction of the digestive tract with grassy material and acute renal failure with accumulation of urates appear to be the direct cause of death in this bird. The problem of this bird appears to be not contagious. I feel that further tests are not needed. Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Pathologist: Dr. Rocio Crespo

Any thoughts? It is just what I suspected, not that I feel necessarily good about that, but I did read up on gizzard impactions. What I would do differently? I would have had the bird seen by the vet right away and I would have taken that fiber filled poo along.

The unexpected news is the regressed ovary. I wonder how long it takes for that to happen because I'm sure this bird layed an egg within 3 days of falling ill. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks again!

Cathy

Sorry for your loss, but thank you for the necropsy results. I once had a hen die with an impacted gizzard, full of sunflower shells. Crop impactions of long grasses can lead to gizzard blockage as well.

Back
Top Bottom