8 months no eggs?

Gary palmer

Chirping
Jul 13, 2017
My chickens are almost 8 months old. No eggs in nesting boxes and I searched all around the property for eggs. Nothing. This is my first flock so I had to invest quite a bit to get set up. Im really starting to get frustrated here and am beginning to resent these freeloading chickens. Where do I go from here?

Some chicken breeds only start laying at around 9 months and chickens learn by example so put a fake egg in the best box for example a golf ball then hopefully they will follow

My chickens are almost 8 months old. No eggs in nesting boxes and I searched all around the property for eggs. Nothing. This is my first flock so I had to invest quite a bit to get set up. Im really starting to get frustrated here and am beginning to resent these freeloading chickens. Where do I go from here?
Are they showing any signs of being mature enough to lay?
Bright red combs and wattles, squatting.
Check here for more info:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

What breed are they?
What is your location? Short dark days are not conducive to laying.

Fake eggs in the nest can help show them where to lay,
but it won't make them lay if they are not mature enough to do so.

You can join our group of "duds"

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-contest-for-the-duds.1206150/

You aren't alone in not having eggs right now. I have found many people on here in the same boat, chickens old enough to lay, in theory, and not laying, most likely due to winter arriving and short days. It's frustrating, but apparently can be fairly common if they are maturing at the same time the days are shortening. I only have one out of five laying myself and they all hatched between Feb. 15 and March 1. Keep giving them good food, water, and shelter, and they will get there! You may get some advice on here about supplementing light if you choose as well.

Supplemental light is not the SILVER BULLET. Yes it does work but it is not instant. It needs to be started when days start getting shorter. That way the certain part in the chickens brain keep producing that certain hormone. I forgot the details on the name of such , but can be found if you search. This way the chicken keeps producing all along. The breed of chickens is also a big factor in egg production. Sex links are great at laying all year except when going thru molt. White leghorns as well. The feed diet is also a factor in egg production. Most important ingredient is the protein. If protein percentage is lowered due to being fed whatever certain peeps think is best for( their chickens) (their opinions) then egg production will lower.
In the corporate egg production coops, the light are on continuously, Chickens are fed a science diet with no treats. Egg production has to be constant, otherwise the place would have to close.

WISHING YOU BEST.... :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom