1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

8 new baby EE's please I have temperature questions!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kimboolah, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kimboolah

kimboolah Chillin' With My Peeps

This is our second batch of chickens this year--Our first batch is outside in the coop/yard 24/7 laying the most gorgeous eggs and doing beautifully.
    I got this new batch a few days ago, and they are in the brooder under a heat lamp. I live in Northern Wisconsin and it was 31 degrees here last night. I know I will keep them in the house for at least 6 weeks, but after that it will be pretty dang cold around here---should I just plan to keep them outside during the day and round them up and keep them inside at night so they don't get shocked from the cold? Or just wait until they are fully feathered (no more fluffy butts, etc) and let them settle in?

Would it be better to put them out there sooner and see if someone wanted to be the "mamma" to them?

Thanks

2. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I just have a heat lamp in my chicken house that the birds can get under if they need to. If their coop/house is draft free they willdo fine when fully feathered.

I am also so happy we moved 450 miles south....[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by