8 week chick lethargic, pale, bloody poop ++ PIC WARNING ++

The chick in this thread has recovered thankfully and is enjoying life with the rest of his/her flock. It's slimmer than it was, but healthy nevertheless.

It has been 4 days since the 7 days treatment for coccidiosis ended for the entire flock. This morning upon inspection of the coop, found traces of blood in the droppings. ☹

20200826_114451.jpg
20200826_090952.jpg

All the chicks are out in the garden, running around fine. No signs of illness and none are lethargic in any way.

9 chicks all roughly 10 weeks old now. On day 3 of deworming medication (Flubendazole 1%) in the food, and apple cider vinegar and garlic in the water.

What could the cause be? So confused...

Admittedly the hemp has gotten damp/wet (water spills) a few times but I have changed it out when noticed. Also changed to horizontal feeders.

Last edited:
The chick in this thread has recovered thankfully and is enjoying life with the rest of his/her flock. It's slimmer than it was, but healthy nevertheless.

It has been 4 days since the 7 days treatment for coccidiosis ended for the entire flock. This morning upon inspection of the coop, found traces of blood in the droppings. ☹

View attachment 2306576View attachment 2306577

All the chicks are out in the garden, running around fine. No signs of illness and none are lethargic in any way.

9 chicks all roughly 10 weeks old now. On day 3 of deworming medication (Flubendazole 1%) in the food, and apple cider vinegar and garlic in the water.

Admittedly the hemp has gotten damp/wet (water spills) a few times but I have changed it out when noticed. Also changed to horizontal feeders.

you need to figure out what one is bleeding and that don't look like much. maybe some left over from before? once you find out who it is then id have them checked by a vet. also red don't always mean blood. I have had some poop that was red because they ate berries.

View attachment 2306576View attachment 2306577

Good point about them eating something red - have they had tomatoes, watermelon, berries, etc.?

All running around and acting normal is a good thing!

Did they all drink the Coxoid water as the only source of drinking water for the 5-7 days?
You didn't offer any extra supplements/vitamins/electrolytes or add anything to the Coxoid water or their feed did you?

If the poops like that continue or you notice one that is acting unwell, then take some samples to your vet for testing. You may need them to give you a Sulfa drug or something like Toltrazuril to treat your birds.

I did think about the red foods, but sadly there is nothing in the garden that is red for them to be eating, let alone berries of any sort or even tomatoes. On that point, none of them like tomatoes...lol what's with that? They tried them, shook their head and walked away.

Did they all drink the Coxoid water as the only source of drinking water for the 5-7 days?
You didn't offer any extra supplements/vitamins/electrolytes or add anything to the Coxoid water or their feed did you?
Absolutely nothing, not even treats. Coxoid water and their main feed pellets is all they had for those 7 days.

Will keep a keen eye on them and report back.

Thank you

Found the culprit. It was not as lethargic and weak as the previous ones but 100% had all Coccidiosis symptoms. Have isolated it, and started Coxoid treatment.

20200828_112250.jpg
20200828_103048.jpg

Not sure what the best course of action is moving forward with the rest of them. Should I start the same treatment on them too? It means I have to lock them up for 7 days and that's not nice. Can't understand how this would come back so fast. Is that normal or even possible?

Found the culprit. It was not as lethargic and weak as the previous ones but 100% had all Coccidiosis symptoms. Have isolated it, and started Coxoid treatment.

View attachment 2309427 View attachment 2309428

Not sure what the best course of action is moving forward with the rest of them. Should I start the same treatment on them too? It means I have to lock them up for 7 days and that's not nice. Can't understand how this would come back so fast. Is that normal or even possible?
If the poops like that continue or you notice one that is acting unwell, then take some samples to your vet for testing. You may need them to give you a Sulfa drug or something like Toltrazuril to treat your birds.

If the others are acting fine and you have her separated, then just treat her.
I think I would direct oral drench her and then make sure she's drinking the mixed Coxoid water throughout the day as well. You may need to syringe the mixed water into her several times a day if she's not drinking!
Direct oral drench of Undiluted Coxoid is .25ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 3 days.
Drench is in addition to her drinking the mixed water.

Sorry I apologise, I have taken this advice on board and am in the process of arranging a vet visit. However, I was asking in reference to the rest of the flock...and the fact that they keep getting this illness.

Have administered the first drench.

Last edited:
Sorry I apologise, I have taken this advice on board and am in the process of arranging a vet visit. However, I was asking in reference to the rest of the flock...and the fact that they keep getting this illness.

Have administered the first drench.
If the others seem fine, then personally, I would just treat her.
Coccidiosis is when there is an overload of Coccidia. Coccidia is a protozoa found in poop and in soil. Your chickens are always going to be "exposed" to Coccidia and generally they build resistance to what's in their environment. It's when there is an overload that Coccidia become a problem. Keeping water stations clean and bedding dry can go a long way to help prevent an overload so young birds can build resistance.
Sometimes birds are weaker and they are not able to build resistance and need to be treated. Secondary infection can also occur so it would be good if your vet can do some testing to make sure that you get the right medications.

f the others are acting fine and you have her separated, then just treat her.

Thanks for all your help Wyorp. Sincerely appreciate it. Honestly was at a point this morning where I was questioning and doubting everything I'm doing as again they are sick. Need to relook at everything and make some necessary changes asap.

For an ill chick suffering from Coccidiosis , this dude is so lively chirping loudly calling for it's friends wanting to get out of it's enclosure. It hates this quarantine and it's only day one 🙁

Back
Top Bottom