8 week chick lethargic, pale, bloody poop ++ PIC WARNING ++

uktech

Songster
May 22, 2020
South Bucks, UK
My Coop
My Coop
Is there anything else I can give to help this chick pull through?

ok so today my 8 week old light sussex mix is the one that is lethargic, weak and sleepy šŸ˜Ÿ
20200816_152741.jpg

- Started off with watery puddle stools mixed with something bright yellow but later in the afternoon it's blood plus something that looks very nasty.
- Ruffled feathers
- Very pale comb and wattle
- Constantly sleeping, even falling asleep while standing. Losing balance, stumbling somewhat.

20200816_171942.jpg
20200816_183000.jpg

This morning when I opened the coop I noticed some blood on her. immediately thought she had been attacked but then noticed that she was also limp and not reacting to being handled. After finding no injuries, I gave it electrolyte water of which it had a few sips. Also had one mouthful of boiled egg yolk, but nothing more. The morning it spent sleeping most of the time. The afternoon was much the same and now the evening rolls in, it's not looking too good. It's had a few more mouthfuls of egg yolk and a decent amount of the water but that's because I'm having to force her to take it/drink. Every ten minutes or so I push her beak into a coxoid solution.

Before all this, 24 hours ago, I started the entire flock on Harkers coxoid solution as I lost another chick 4 or 5 days ago. At the time I ordered the medication but the chick in question didn't make it. Soon as the meds arrived, I sanitized the coop and started the treatment for the entire flock. She has her own share of it in her little quarantine chamber where she is drinking it a few sips at a time. I sometimes have to force-feed her the water solution but can't get her to eat anything.

Is there anything else I can give to help this chick pull through? The bloody poos are getting worse and I can't watch another one die šŸ˜ž

Last edited:
It's now 14 hours after I found her and started her recovery process so quick update for those interested.

- Forced to drink the coxoid solution at roughly 10 to 15 minute intervals throughout the day
- Stools are no longer bloody, at least for now. She must have passed at least 5 or 6 that were
- Now awake more tilting its head observing me. Breathing like normal even when asleep. The morning and afternoon was 90% sleep with slow shallow breathing and didn't care what was going on around it even when it was awake
- Still spending most of its time resting its head either on the water container or on the bedding.
- When it's in my lap tail is more upright as opposed to it pointing down as it has been all day
- Still not wanting to stand up even when I try to force it
- Feathers not so ruffled and comb/wattle have more colour

Feels like he/she is improving. Hoping it makes it through the night.

Last edited:
Hugs and hoping she makes it through the night and gets on the mend
Thank you for your kind words. It made it through the night :)

It's stools are now dark brown still with plenty of blood. It also is taking in small amounts of feed by itself. When I try to force it to drink the water solution, it resists a lot more trying to move away from me, a good thing that it has the strength to do that but it needs to take in more water...

It tries to stand for a bit but then abruptly drops back down onto the bedding a few moments later. Not a graceful sitdown as they normally do. While to go yet.

Thank you for your kind words. It made it through the night :)

It's stools are now dark brown still with plenty of blood. It also is taking in small amounts of feed by itself. When I try to force it to drink the water solution, it resists a lot more trying to move away from me, a good thing that it has the strength to do that but it needs to take in more water...

It tries to stand for a bit but then abruptly drops back down onto the bedding a few moments later. Not a graceful sitdown as they normally do. While to go yet.

omg I'm sorry for your chick. i'm guessing its not to the egg laying age yet? was thinking maybe an egg broke inside her but i doubt shes old enough for egg laying.

You are doing what you can, keep pushing the Coxoid.
If a vet is an option, see if they have any other recommendations.

You aren't giving her any extra vitamins/electrolytes are you?

From everything I've researched on here, the conclusion I came to was the same, that it is coccidiosis. Haven't gone to the vet as I think I have it under control for the time being. If it escalates then will head to the vet.

Not giving anything else until this course is finished. After this I'm thinking about starting a 7 day flubendazole course, but not sure if that's a good idea. Maybe someone knows better?

Back
Top Bottom