8 week chicks plucking themselves .. HELP

k7ailaan

Chirping
9 Years
May 25, 2010
my chicks are almost 8 weeks now .. and noticed they are plucking themselves and losing feathers around the chest and bottom

some of them are fine .. and some have really lost too much .. i was watching them to see if they fight or peck at one another
but that was not the case .. they just peck their own feathers

any idea on what is going on ?

i free feed them starter along with some green treats

idunno.gif

What is the percentage of protein the the feed you are using. Feeding eating sometimes is an indicator of a need for protein. Chicks at that age I still have on chick starter/grower 22% protein.

Are you putting BluKote on the chicks that are getting plucked? You should as this will prevent them from plucking on that chick anymore. Also get a red light which will also stop them from plucking. Keep them on Chick Starter and give them treats to keep them from pecking each other. Good Luck

Agreed, make sure they're on a high protein food, and give them treats as distraction. A quarter of a cabbage hung with wire can entertain for hours :)

Quote:
yea I still have them on 20% starters feed .. could be due to the heat ? its in the 100s most days

I also noticed that they don't eat until late in the afternoon .. i fill early in the morning and by the afternoon only 10% is gone
by the evening the other 90% is finished.. I'm thinking it might be the heat, coz the water is refilled twice or more a day

Quote:
Actually they are not plucking each other .. every one is plucking themselves

what would a red light do ?? haven't heard of it before

My 8 week old chicks are losing their feathers as well. I have mine on 22% starter. I thought this was normal for them at this time in getting new feathers. I looked and I see new feathers coming in.

No, they have lots of room. I have been gradually switching them from medicated to non-medicated, and its a different brand of food. One is more so than the rest. She keep prening her feathers. I looked her over and I see lots of new feathers coming in. More on her back. I don't see any of the others picking at her. I assume this was a normal stange.

Back
Top Bottom