8 week old baby all of a sudden ill.....

ErnieBerley

Songster
Aug 28, 2019
Marshall NC (western NC mountains)
One of my 8 week old hatchlings this morning was slow to get out of the coop, and barely walking, eyes closing, etc... I've had mareks in this flock before unfortunately and this is how it goes.....but what would any of you suggest to try? VetRx, electrolytes, anything else? I have to save this chick, she is the offspring of a white crested blue polish, my fav chicken of all (she let me pet her and hold her...all those nice things only a few of our birds will allow). Well she had a couple eggs that a D'uccle hen went broody on and raised - they are GREAT/excellent Mama's BTW. 2 weeks ago a hawk decided to take my blue polish so she's no longer with me, only a few feathers existed. But I was so happy at least I had a baby that looked exactly like her to raise...ugh. Any help on what ot do with a sick baby please let me know.

again, she's lethargic, sitting on ground and droopy eyes, head. She did eat some egg this AM.... but not drinking yet.

Thanks.....
0.jpg

You suspect Marek's for good reason. Once you have chickens die from it, there will be others since the virus is one of the most tenacious in the chicken kingdom.

There are other things that mimic Marek's symptoms that you can try to treat for. Heat stress, starvation due to being bullied away from food, and coccidiosis are the ones that come to mind.

Heat stress is treated with electrolytes and sugar in the water.

Bullying is treated by feeding the chick separately to restore strength and taking on a program of rehabilitation, but you need to observe the flock to identify this as a likely problem.

Coccidiosis is treated with amprolium, Corid in the US.

You suspect Marek's for good reason. Once you have chickens die from it, there will be others since the virus is one of the most tenacious in the chicken kingdom.

There are other things that mimic Marek's symptoms that you can try to treat for. Heat stress, starvation due to being bullied away from food, and coccidiosis are the ones that come to mind.

Heat stress is treated with electrolytes and sugar in the water.

Bullying is treated by feeding the chick separately to restore strength and taking on a program of rehabilitation, but you need to observe the flock to identify this as a likely problem.

Coccidiosis is treated with amprolium, Corid in the US.
thanks

Back
Top Bottom