8 week old buff orp Roo?

How old are they now? The one showing wattles is definitely a cockerel. The other one sporting the headgear is looking like one as well.

Ok, here's the last pic. I don't think it's good news for me. And the other one started a little crow yesterday.

Attachments

• PXL_20220823_115848502.jpg
    PXL_20220823_115848502.jpg
    364.5 KB · Views: 4
Luckily I found a good home for them. I'm pretty sure both of them are. Same chickens in the pics, just moving around too much. I'll give them another week to grow before I send them off.
I'm integrating the chicks into the flock now. Should I start letting the cockerels into the roost at night with the others, or just bring them back to the brooder at night? Maybe chickens aren't as sad about losing a few as I am?
Since this is your first flock, you should be aware of young roosters behavior. THEY GET AGGRESSIVE! They can't help it and it's not because they're bad. It's hormones. They'll attack the girls and they won't let up. It starts at approximately 4 most old more or less. So keep them with everyone till you see them become little psychos. Then you'll need to separate them for a bit till they calm down. Otherwise you'll hear a lot of the girls screaming from being grabbed to mate. The young ones won't have any manners at all. If you have another older rooster, he'll go after them. That'll teach them! But I always separate mine. Love my boys, but they are mean AF to the girls when young.

diz.PNG

I had a BO rooster I got from a frypan bargain. He didn't get processed because he was sweet. I did give him to a family who wanted a rooster for their hens. They also have a small boy that loves chickens. It was a good fit. He crowed to much for me to keep.

Back
Top Bottom