8 week old chick with wet pox

charliecleveland

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2024
Southwest Florida
Hi all, new chicken owner here! I have an 8 week old showgirl who had scabs on her neck from dry pox which have started to fall off. Now she is sneezing, hardly eating/drinking, and shaking her head. I did see her eat and drink a little bit not as much as the others. She's not as active as she was yesterday when I noticed the sneezing. I couldn't get her to open her mouth to see if she has any lesions in her mouth but I can try again after dark.
Is there anything I can do to help her? Any advice would be appreciated!

Hi all, new chicken owner here! I have an 8 week old showgirl who had scabs on her neck from dry pox which have started to fall off. Now she is sneezing, hardly eating/drinking, and shaking her head. I did see her eat and drink a little bit not as much as the others. She's not as active as she was yesterday when I noticed the sneezing. I couldn't get her to open her mouth to see if she has any lesions in her mouth but I can try again after dark.
Is there anything I can do to help her? Any advice would be appreciated!
I would think that dry pox normally appears on the comb, wattle, or face? Are you sure the scabs are not pecking wounds? Does she have feathers on her neck?

Do you see any nasal discharge, bubbles, or discharge from her mouth, and how are her poops?

Is she standing still with her head tucked in or is she gasping for breath?

I would isolate her in case she has a respiratory infection. They can be treated with medicine.

I would think that dry pox normally appears on the comb, wattle, or face? Are you sure the scabs are not pecking wounds? Does she have feathers on her neck?

Do you see any nasal discharge, bubbles, or discharge from her mouth, and how are her poops?

Is she standing still with her head tucked in or is she gasping for breath?

I would isolate her in case she has a respiratory infection. They can be treated with medicine.
I originally thought they were pecking wounds but the person I got her from told me she found an outbreak of fowl pox in her flock a few days later.
She has a naked neck and the scabs were mostly on her neck. I didn't see any on the face. She doesn't really have a comb or a waddle yet. The picture is from about a week ago.
Poops seem normal. No discharge on nose or visible from outside of the mouth. Her breathing is a little bit labored. She sits with her head tucked in a lot and doesn't move around much.

What medicines are used to treat respiratory infections?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG-4542.jpg
    IMG-4542.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 1
I originally thought they were pecking wounds but the person I got her from told me she found an outbreak of fowl pox in her flock a few days later.
She has a naked neck and the scabs were mostly on her neck. I didn't see any on the face. She doesn't really have a comb or a waddle yet. The picture is from about a week ago.
Poops seem normal. No discharge on nose or visible from outside of the mouth. Her breathing is a little bit labored. She sits with her head tucked in a lot and doesn't move around much.

What medicines are used to treat respiratory infections?

Thank you!
This thread might be useful for you! Respitory diseases differ and are not always cured by antibiotics. This thread here might be useful for you, the user Eggcessive explains what you should use very well.

For now, I would isolate her. Can you also check her mouth? Check for any bumps, white or yellow or greenish masses in her mouth. It’s a canker and can cause lethargy and difficulty eating. The lack of mucus or discharge might indicate something other than a simple respiratory disease is up.

I hope she gets better!

This thread might be useful for you! Respitory diseases differ and are not always cured by antibiotics. This thread here might be useful for you, the user Eggcessive explains what you should use very well.

For now, I would isolate her. Can you also check her mouth? Check for any bumps, white or yellow or greenish masses in her mouth. It’s a canker and can cause lethargy and difficulty eating. The lack of mucus or discharge might indicate something other than a simple respiratory disease is up.

I hope she gets better!
Thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom