8 week old chicken questions

ICB42

Chirping
Aug 22, 2015
Our chickens are now 8 weeks old, and tonight its supposed to get down in the 30's which is COLD for Florida, will they be okay outside in the weather, or do we need to bring them inside for the night? I am one paranoid chicken owner we have lost a couple of flocks due to predictors I would hate to lose them to the weather tonight. Thanks in advance!

I thought so, I have 4 Ameraucana's and then 2 rhode island reds, and then one barred rock and one barred rock and Ameraucana mixed roo...I believe they will be fine I just wanted to make sure!

Our chickens are now 8 weeks old, and tonight its supposed to get down in the 30's which is COLD for Florida, will they be okay outside in the weather, or do we need to bring them inside for the night? I am one paranoid chicken owner we have lost a couple of flocks due to predictors I would hate to lose them to the weather tonight. Thanks in advance!

I'm also a bit "over-protective" and am concerned about low 40's upper 30's tonite with chickens about 5.5 weeks old. They've been in the outside coop for 2+ weeks now and seem to have alot of feathers. The coop has ventilation and deep pine chips. My brain says they'll be ok but gee whiz they're so cute I would hate to lose one.

I'm also a bit "over-protective" and am concerned about low 40's upper 30's tonite with chickens about 5.5 weeks old. They've been in the outside coop for 2+ weeks now and seem to have alot of feathers. The coop has ventilation and deep pine chips. My brain says they'll be ok but gee whiz they're so cute I would hate to lose one.
I am the same way, We have made it so they are safe, but oh man, I would be super sad to lose one! I see you are from florida as well! pretty awesome! :) I am glad I'm not the only paranoid about my chickens!

Well, it seems my concern for my feathered youngsters was unnecessary (like you all said). We got down to 40 last night and when I went out to the coop this morning they all jumped off the roosts/laying boxes and met me at the door to go outside. They were happy and healthy and making chicken noises just like every other morning. If anything, they were MORE active. So, all happy times at my house. Wish I had a covered run to allow them to stay outside when I'm at work. I don't trust 6 week olds outside without one of us outside with them. Our Sharp-Shinned hawks have been very active lately and I'm sure they're small enuf to take.

Well, it seems my concern for my feathered youngsters was unnecessary (like you all said).  We got down to 40 last night and when I went out to the coop this morning they all jumped off the roosts/laying boxes and met me at the door to go outside.  They were happy and healthy and making chicken noises just like every other morning.  If anything, they were MORE active.  So, all happy times at my house.  Wish I had a covered run to allow them to stay outside when I'm at work.  I don't trust 6 week olds outside without one of us outside with them.  Our Sharp-Shinned hawks have been very active lately and I'm sure they're small enuf to take.

I felt the same. Just glad all my hens were safe and sound this morning!! although I did lose another bantam last night. We have two hens that are the ones that we eat and we brought them inside and she was a snuggler and I found her squished in the corner of the brooder :/ down to only to bantams. She was the one who wouldn't run when i tried to pick her up! I was sad :/ we may not be getting the bantams anymore we have lost 3 so far and hoping not to lose the last two!

I felt the same. Just glad all my hens were safe and sound this morning!! although I did lose another bantam last night. We have two hens that are the ones that we eat and we brought them inside and she was a snuggler and I found her squished in the corner of the brooder
hmm.png
down to only to bantams. She was the one who wouldn't run when i tried to pick her up! I was sad
hmm.png
we may not be getting the bantams anymore we have lost 3 so far and hoping not to lose the last two!

My dad had banties and my best friend in HS did too. I've never had them. I now have 5 EE & 4 RIR's. They are pretty big considering age. Far beyond the need to worry so much.

I am truly sorry for your loss. These are farm animals and we're not supposed to get attached to them (so says my Grandpa when I was growing up). I have failed in that expectation.

My dad had banties and my best friend in HS did too.  I've never had them.  I now have 5 EE & 4 RIR's.  They are pretty big considering age.  Far beyond the need to worry so much.

I am truly sorry for your loss.  These are farm animals and we're not supposed to get attached to them (so says my Grandpa when I was growing up).  I have failed in that expectation.

Sadly no we are not, but we do! We have 4ees and 2rir and 1 Barred rock and the a roo who is EE and barred Rock mix

Back
Top Bottom