8 week-old chickens won't roost

JulieN

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 30, 2009
I have 5 chickens and they all just smash into a nesting box at night instead of using the roost (2x2 inch wooden roost, square). Is this a concern or will they learing it on their own?

They should learn it on their own, in tie. The bigger problem-if they get used to sleeping in the nesting box, you will have poopy eggs in the future.
sad.png

Maybe block off the nesting boxes-they might go to the roost?

2 silkie bantams, 1 Gold Laced Wyandotte, & 2 Silver Laced Ws

They start low and work their way up. Be sure they have a roost close to the ground to start. Mine learned to roost on a couple of logs put in the chicken house. Within a week they were up on the six footer.

I agree it is a good idea to board up the nesting boxes. They won't need them for a couple of months and it is a bad habit that is hard to break if they use them as roosts.

Good luck. All will be well in a week!
wee.gif

Your silkies may never roost. All of mine prefer to sleep in a nest box, on the floor, or on a board i have on top of the nest boxes. But i had to put a ramp in the coop so they could get on top of the board. Silkies can hop and flutter a bit, but can't fly, so not very good at getting up to a tall roost. Your Wyandottes may be hanging down with the silkies to stay warm.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom