8 week old duckling with weak leg

I was told that earlier, that's why I started adding the oats. I don't know that such a thing is available in my area... I've been feeding all my ducks Purina Flock Raiser for years. Maybe they have it as a layer feed, but it's my understanding I can't use that since I have drakes too.
No a Grower/ finisher feed at 16% for all Birds works. Plus lots of forage material..

It really sounds more like an injury. You might try a shoe to stabilize the foot so it stays in the proper place you can use a plastic container and cut into shape if the foot then wrap in vet wrap place the foot in and wrap again In vet wrap making sure to go up around ankle aways to help hold it in place you know to be careful an not wrap too tight. That might help the ankle have support also those pipe covers made out of insulated foams could be cut a used to but it would be nice to know exactly what’s going on. So we don’t make matters worse. I don’t think the shoe would though.

I was told that earlier, that's why I started adding the oats. I don't know that such a thing is available in my area... I've been feeding all my ducks Purina Flock Raiser for years. Maybe they have it as a layer feed, but it's my understanding I can't use that since I have drakes too.
Flock Raiser is great feed a lot of duck owners use it because it’s made for all poultry.

It really sounds more like an injury. You might try a shoe to stabilize the foot so it stays in the proper place you can use a plastic container and cut into shape if the foot then wrap in vet wrap place the foot in and wrap again In vet wrap making sure to go up around ankle aways to help hold it in place you know to be careful an not wrap too tight. That might help the ankle have support also those pipe covers made out of insulated foams could be cut a used to but it would be nice to know exactly what’s going on. So we don’t make matters worse. I don’t think the shoe would though.
I hadn't been able to get through to the vet's office yet (been getting a busy signal...I've called 5 or 6 times...I know they're popular but dang, lol) so last night I made him a brace/splint/boot. Used the corner of a grape tomato container, but it was too flimsy, so after cutting it to shape I braced the back by gorilla-taping some hardware cloth to it. Then placed it on his leg and foot and wrapped with vet wrap. PHOTO_20190612_235159.jpg
Took a few tries, I guess I wasn't wrapping tight enough and it kept slipping and sliding, but guess who was standing up when I got home from work today? :D PHOTO_20190613_202127.jpg
Maybe it will let whatever is hurt heal and not let his other muscles weaken too much in the meantime. Overnight I decided to put him that basket til he got used to the brace bc he was having some trouble with the leg falling backward which made him have to flap around to get it back where it should be. I think I may leave him there... from what I've seen so far today it's helping keep his leg under him, and let him stand up and move around more easily. When he's out his own, this tends to happen: PHOTO_20190613_212936.jpg
But if you can get him situated, he does a lot better. PHOTO_20190613_213112.jpg

Back
Top Bottom