8 week old duckling with weak leg

Pics
Ok, this video was harder to get than I imagined, lol. Ended up leaning the camera against the dresser so I could use both hands. I think it illustrates everything pretty well. When I could get his leg under him, he could stand - I was only barely balancing him with one hand. But that leg just insists on flying backwards :(

On a slightly happier note, I came home to find Blanche had hopped off the couch, traipsed into my bedroom, back through the living room and into the kitchen, so I think that means she's feeling better, lol. She's still limping some, but it's only been 3 days. I do wish she'd eat more food too... she'll gobble peas, but barely touched the crumbles.

I saw that and was going to let you know that I have not seen anything like that before. We're you able to schedule an appointment with the avian vet?

I saw that and was going to let you know that I have not seen anything like that before. We're you able to schedule an appointment with the avian vet?
As far as I know she'll be back Monday - I'm going to call and make sure that morning. Really she's not an avian vet, she's just the only vet around that knows much about ducks. The closest actual avian vet is about 3X the drive, so I always try this one first.
Man, I was really hoping you (or someone) would have an idea of what we're dealing with here. I don't know what I'm going to do if it's not fixable.:hit

Bless his heart I wonder if they are jumping off the couch hasn’t got something to do with this and Blanche’s limp. They can injure themselves so easily and Pekins seem to have more leg issues anyway.

Bless his heart I wonder if they are jumping off the couch hasn’t got something to do with this and Blanche’s limp. They can injure themselves so easily and Pekins seem to have more leg issues anyway.
With Al, maybe, but I think Blanche's foot is just gonna take some time to heal. She was roaming around the house again when I got home yesterday, so I let her go visit the other ducks for a while, but I think that was too much too soon bc she's really staying off her foot today. :(

Not good, guys :( the vet was afraid Blanche's foot might be infected bc it's so swollen around that middle toe, so she's keeping her overnight so they can sedate her and open it up and clean it out.
And poor Big Al... she can't do anything for him. :hitDefinitely something out place, probably a slipped tendon, maybe something else wrong because she agreed it didn't look like the typical slipped tendon in Pekins. So I'll be calling the avian vet that's an hour and half drive away tomorrow to see what they say. If it's been like this for weeks now, is it likely they can even fix it? And who knows how much it will cost... :hmm she guessed anywhere from $1000-1500... yikes :eek:

Back
Top Bottom