8 week old Light Brahma gender

I've not heard that one, all chickens have a different number of points on their combs, go by the color and size of the comb at that age as well as the feathering.
When talking about pea combs, the number of rows can indicate male. The number of peas/points is not what is being referred to.
Three horizontal rows of "peas" usually indicates cockerel. Pullets usually only have a single ridge of peas. Sometimes a pullet will have a three row comb, but it isn't usual.
Cockerel with 3 rows of peas.

Pullet with a single ridge.

I see them, but they aren't developed enough for me to say that that birds is definitely a cockerel. I don't say that unless I'm 90% sure, and with this chick, at this point, it could still be a pullet.

I'm in the same boat. Mine are 14 weeks. No saddle feathers or hackles, but three rows. They don't walk like roosters so I'm hoping they are hens.

I have an Ameraucana who is a tiny peanut but has three rows. Looks nothing like the Ameraucana rooster with three rows so I do think there are exceptions. Hoping our Brahmas are exceptions also. My other breeds' roosters are obvious and have been crowing for over a month.

Back
Top Bottom