8 week old Plymouth Rock crooked toes

Keep us posted as to her progress, remove the splint weekly to check the toes. It took 2wks for a 3wk old chick I treated but I caught it early on as it couldn't walk over night. It was the only one out of 25 I was raising for a friend, everyone else was fine. So it may just be that one, just keep an eye out on the rest.
Thank you! I got her splinted today and added b complex to her food. I still had brooder set up indoors so brought her in to keep a better watch on her progress.

After a week of splint and B complex I checked her toes and although still curbed they are coming around and about half as bad as they were to begin with. Will check again in a week

i know this is an older post, but i have some that seem to have developed a crooked toe. well one started with one on a foot then has the other one now. Is it ok just to leave it alone since it seems not to bother him.

20190602_211809.jpg

So it's 2 toes on one? Is it an injury or just out of the blue? I'd be concerned if it's on one bird, starting with one toe & now two. What are you feeding? Age?

It's possible a vitamin deficiency (Riboflavin, think it's B12). You could give some Vitamin B Complex, Nutri Drench, foods rich in riboflavin (eggs, ground raw almond, beef liver, fortified cereals, etc).

i know this is an older post, but i have some that seem to have developed a crooked toe. well one started with one on a foot then has the other one now. Is it ok just to leave it alone since it seems not to bother him.

View attachment 1829987
Do you have more than one with a crooked toe?
Crooked toes are usually genetic or from improper incubation, but it won't hurt to give some poultry vitamins for that contain B2 (Riboflavin).
Since the bird is older, the crooked toe is likely set and it would be hard to correct (probably very painful too).
Personally, I would not use for breeding.

Do you have more than one with a crooked toe?
Crooked toes are usually genetic or from improper incubation, but it won't hurt to give some poultry vitamins for that contain B2 (Riboflavin).
Since the bird is older, the crooked toe is likely set and it would be hard to correct (probably very painful too).
Personally, I would not use for breeding.

So, this batch of 7 were hatched through an incubator. All hatched successfully, but this one started with a crooked toe. They just turned 3 months old and now another one has a crooked toe. The one in the pic now has a crooked toe on each foot where a month ago, he only had one. I purchased some B2 capsules so I will put one in a gallon of water and mix it with their drinking water.

Back
Top Bottom