8 week old Plymouth Rock crooked toes

Bhubbard

Songster
Jun 7, 2018
Sunbury Ohio
At this age I am not sure making the boot for her would help? However I sat her on roost and she lets me straighten her toes out. It is 1 on each foot. Do you think it would be better to make a splint for it instead and tape around toe? It doesn’t seem to bother her now just want to try before she gets older and could become bigger issue. Feel bad I just noticed it on her after moving them out to coop.

At this age I am not sure making the boot for her would help? However I sat her on roost and she lets me straighten her toes out. It is 1 on each foot. Do you think it would be better to make a splint for it instead and tape around toe? It doesn’t seem to bother her now just want to try before she gets older and could become bigger issue. Feel bad I just noticed it on her after moving them out to coop.
Would it be possible to get a picture of her feet? That always helps. Which toe is it?

Barred rocks toes

Attachments

• 3C124544-EB2F-4957-AC02-73CB2DF8EC00.jpeg
    3C124544-EB2F-4957-AC02-73CB2DF8EC00.jpeg
    421.4 KB · Views: 16
  • CBBA2DED-C67C-4A02-9716-A865910B4662.jpeg
    CBBA2DED-C67C-4A02-9716-A865910B4662.jpeg
    407.4 KB · Views: 16
Barred rocks toes
Yes, that is a pretty intense curve. I think since she is still growing it is best to wrap, and hopefully correct her toes, so, as you mentioned, it won’t lead to further issues when she is older. Even if it isn’t causing her problems at the moment. In conclusion, I would definitely make a splint for her toe using vet wrap, or a suitable tape. Good luck with your girl!

Yes, that is a pretty intense curve. I think since she is still growing it is best to wrap, and hopefully correct her toes, so, as you mentioned, it won’t lead to further issues when she is older. Even if it isn’t causing her problems at the moment. In conclusion, I would definitely make a splint for her toe using vet wrap, or a suitable tape. Good luck with your girl!
Thank you! Will do first thing tomorrow.

That is a severe curved toe ... Did she hatch that way or just developed? Agree on trying to straightening as Table4Six recommenced. If it's not an injury, I would suspect vitamin deficiency (Riboflavin) ... Vitamin B Complex mashed & mixed in it's food.
I didn’t notice it when I received them about 2 days old. I have 12 others that are all fine, just her. If it was a vitamin issue should I be monitoring other girls closely? I would expect it to show up in more than just one....

Keep us posted as to her progress, remove the splint weekly to check the toes. It took 2wks for a 3wk old chick I treated but I caught it early on as it couldn't walk over night. It was the only one out of 25 I was raising for a friend, everyone else was fine. So it may just be that one, just keep an eye out on the rest.

Back
Top Bottom