8 week old Polish Tolbunt!

@Hsoares,
I looked back through your pics to see if I could tell if his crest was made up of pointy or rounded feathers, and I see green tail feathers now… so, yes, another boy trait. (Girls can have iridescent feathers too, but that’s all over their body with hens, I think. Green in the tail only = boy as far as I know)
Here are the places you’ll look for pointed feathers on boys:
Crest—hackles—saddle—tail
View attachment 3109228
Thank you so much for the info! That's really helps! I do believe it's a he! Lol

Looks like a cockerel to me too, but I’ve only had a cockerel white crested black polish (last year) and my two almost 8 week old buff laced polish pullets (?). Here are the combs on mine at 7 weeks (Wednesday):
View attachment 3109194
And
View attachment 3109200
No wattles on mine, no color either

View attachment 3109211
It’s hard to tell the overall look of Toupee’s crest due to the frizzling. (Love his name & his curly feathers!) But, I think, if you look at the crest feathers individually, you’ll see pointed feathers. He should grow pointed saddle feathers & hackle feathers too in the next two weeks, I’d guess, if he hasn’t already. Plus crow… I’d imagine he will start that soon too, if he is indeed a boy.

I hope, if he is the cockerel we think, that he gets along well with your other boy! He’s such a pretty bird! We have a pair of cockerels in our main flock currently and so far, so good! 🤞🏼
Oh awesome info! That you so much I will update if he does crow in a few weeks. My whiting true blue is crowing. It's so funny.

I do hope so too! I'd love to keep him!🤞

Hens can have green tail feathers too.

I do believe this bird is a handsome cockerel.
I didn’t know that. Three of my all black/mostly black hens have iridescent feathers everywhere and my older showgirl hen has a little sheen in her “hard” tail feathers but I think she does as well on her “hard” wing feathers, but I didn’t realize that a pullet could be green in the tail only…
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...red-has-a-green-tail-is-it-a-rooster.1506653/
This girl has the green sheen around her hackles as well.

But this one
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/slw-sprouting-green-tail-feathers-cockerel.1167560/
turned out to be a cockerel.

I know you know a lot more than me @Overo Mare. I learned something today. That some young pullets can have green only in their tails. 🧐

Toupee is most definitely a very handsome cockerel. Pointy feathers on a frizzle are a massive giveaway before the colour comes in to the face. Compare with one of mine below who is a pullet. Blunt ended feathers.

Attachments

• 20210906_121422.jpg
    20210906_121422.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 8
Toupee is most definitely a very handsome cockerel. Pointy feathers on a frizzle are a massive giveaway before the colour comes in to the face. Compare with one of mine below who is a pullet. Blunt ended feathers.
Ahh makes perfect sense! Now to see if he and my "lighting" will get a long!

I have two other roosters I need to remove soon too. Out of 11 chicks I got 4 roosters , not to bad.

Back
Top Bottom