8 week old Rhode Island Red loss Of feathers

CrissyV

In the Brooder
May 21, 2022
Help! Need some advice for my poor girl, she is the only one of the 6 chicks that her feathers never fully grown.

Attachments

• 7D82FD90-4AA2-483C-B2CE-2CBBC7626C86.jpeg
    7D82FD90-4AA2-483C-B2CE-2CBBC7626C86.jpeg
    839.4 KB · Views: 53
How old is she? Is she seem to be getting pecked at? What are you feeding her? Make sure she is getting lots of protein and healthy nutrients. Some chickens simply have slower growing feathers. What breed is she? Does she seem to be acting strange of different? If she is not getting pecked at, and if she is eating enough nutrients and proteins, this is nothing to be concerned about. Overtime, she should grow her feathers.

Are these hatchery chicks? Based on the feathers I can see, I would guess that they are not pure RIR, some mix of something in there. Different breeds can feather differently, mixes in particular can be different. If the chick is acting normally and eating and drinking and poops are normal, I would just watch, wait and see. It just may feather later.

How old is she? Is she seem to be getting pecked at? What are you feeding her? Make sure she is getting lots of protein and healthy nutrients. Some chickens simply have slower growing feathers. What breed is she? Does she seem to be acting strange of different? If she is not getting pecked at, and if she is eating enough nutrients and proteins, this is nothing to be concerned about. Overtime, she should grow her feathers.
Since I posted this, she is doing well. thank you

Back
Top Bottom