8 weeks old, can they stand the cold

Granny Hoffman

Songster
9 Years
Jul 19, 2010
SE Michigan
I apologize if this has been answered before, but I can't find the information I am looking for. I have total of 9 LO and BCM, they are fully feathered and growing like weeds. I have them in the coop in a makeshift brooder with a 85 watt red spotlight on them for a little warmth. It has gotten down to 0 the last couple of nights, can I take the light away and let them roost with the rest of the crew. The sun is shining bright and I was going to let them romp with the rest of the crew today, even though it is only supposed to get to the teens. What I am really concerned about is the night time temps.

Any help would be appreciated, they are getting too big for the makeshift brooder.

I put my EEs out at 8 weeks, but I think the lows were in the 30s.

Do you have a heat mat that you can put out with them? That's what I did to help my ladies adjust from being inside at a low of 68 to outside in the 30s. I got mine from shopthecoop.com.

I just put my 11 week old out last week. The highs are in the low 20's. I put a heat lamp in there and a regular incandescent bulb in there. The incandescent is shining right on the water to keep it from freezing. Seems ok so far.

Back
Top Bottom