8 weeks old - soaking wet - what do I do?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lizage, Jun 18, 2011.

1. lizage

lizage Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    My chicks are soaking wet from rain out in their run. Would not (and still won't) go into the coop. Are they old enough to clean/dry themselves up?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    As long as they are all feathered...they will be fine...mine just turned 7 weeks and they love playing in the rain...lol

3. lizage

lizage Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    They are all feathered out, but look like drowned rats now! I put a tarp over a part of the run, threw treats under it and they still wouldn't go under! They're just standing there getting soaked! [​IMG]

Of course, I couldn't help but feel worried... [​IMG]

4. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Have they ever delt with rain b4??
    If not, then you may need to help them out...I have a covered roof in my run so they can stay dry.....you might have to dry them off and put them in the coop if they are looking cold.....I always lock mine up if there is going to be a Major storm !

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Maybe blow dry them? Mine won't go out in the rain, luckily.

6. Cryssie_Bou

Cryssie_Bou Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2011
    my meaties are 4 weeks old and are doing great despite the torrential rain all day we have had today I gave them more dry bedding tonight topped up their food and water and watched them all go hide in their corner where all the dry shavings are.. It could be that their enjoying the raining.. or just havent figured out their supposse to get out of it..
    Our meatie enclosure has a full roof so they are covered

Cryssie

7. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

My australorps went out to the coop and run when they were six weeks old--back when it was still very rainy and cold. They would not go into the coop when it was raining. I gave up trying after a while because they were very healthy and were not cold. They are 15 weeks old, now, and hate the heat, so they stay in the coop when the sun is out, but when it rains they are outside playing in the puddles.

8. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Mine use to do that too! I think they just have to get use to the idea!

9. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I still have adult silkies that I have to put in the coop when it starts raining. Some of them just don't have the sense to get out of the rain [​IMG]

10. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Mine got soaked about a week ago and as long as it doesn't get too cold where u r tonite they should b ok! Some of the run is covered and they have a big coop...some go in, some stand under the covered run, and the dumber ones just stand in the rain! Silly chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by