8 yr old Pekin Died two days ago, I’m worried about my female

BA-DuckMom

Chirping
Sep 4, 2020
My Duck died two days ago. It was the worse experience I have ever had. My poor baby. It was the scariest thing to watch him died and there was nothing I could do. I did notice he was pooping a blackish green poop. He was fine until that morning. I feel like such a bad duck momma. I miss that poor baby so much. Now my female is having watery poop and tiny blood clots. I have ivermectin but it’s the horse paste. Please someone tell me if I can give it to her and how much. I couldn’t handle losing my girl right now. She is a pekin so was my baby that passed.

I am so sorry :hugsI know how hard it is to lose a pet duck
I don't know if ivermectin will help for watery poop with bloodclots? Can you post a picture of her poop please and is she having any other symptoms? how old is she?

My Duck died two days ago. It was the worse experience I have ever had. My poor baby. It was the scariest thing to watch him died and there was nothing I could do. I did notice he was pooping a blackish green poop. He was fine until that morning. I feel like such a bad duck momma. I miss that poor baby so much. Now my female is having watery poop and tiny blood clots. I have ivermectin but it’s the horse paste. Please someone tell me if I can give it to her and how much. I couldn’t handle losing my girl right now. She is a pekin so was my baby that passed.
Sorry for your loss

I doubt that black/greenish poop was abnormal. He had probably been eating weeds.

It's hard to know what happened. Tell us more about his death. Did he just collapse and die suddenly, or were there any other symptoms that morning or before he died?

Many pekins live only around 8-10 years as they have been bred over thousands of years for rapid growth and culling for meat at only a few months old.

I would not give you duck ivermectin. It's intended to treat intestinal worms. A photograph of her poop would be helpful

IMG_0153.jpeg

This is how she is laying and her poop is clear or brown water she can’t get enough to drink. I am scared.

I'm sorry for your loss :(

It's hard to say what she could have. It sounds like it was contagious since both ducks got sick at the same time.

Blood in poop can point to multiple things - possibly parasites but possibly a virus, coccidiosis, bacterial infection, etc. I wouldn't give any medication if you’re not sure it's safe re the horse ivermectin.

Is it possible to get her to a vet, preferably an avian vet? I know it's the weekend so particularly bad timing. They can do a fecal test to determine what's wrong.

IME once ducks get close to 8 years old they can be more prone to infections that may be hard to detect until it's too late. Birds hide their illnesses very well. I lost my beloved 8 year old Pekin suddenly due to an infection.

I'm sorry for your loss :(

It's hard to say what she could have. It sounds like it was contagious since both ducks got sick at the same time.

Blood in poop can point to multiple things - possibly parasites but possibly a virus, coccidiosis, bacterial infection, etc. I wouldn't give any medication if you’re not sure it's safe re the horse ivermectin.

Is it possible to get her to a vet, preferably an avian vet? I know it's the weekend so particularly bad timing. They can do a fecal test to determine what's wrong.

IME once ducks get close to 8 years old they can be more prone to infections that may be hard to detect until it's too late. Birds hide their illnesses very well. I lost my beloved 8 year old Pekin suddenly due to an infection.
Thank you I’m going to be devastated if she dies. I am just heartbroken.

Thank you I’m going to be devastated if she dies. I am just heartbroken.
Its very difficult when our beloved ducks get sick and die. I lost a pekin drake last year -- he stopped walking and despite all kinds of treatment and therapy [I did take him to a vet] he died suddenly 5 months later. It was thought that he had a pelvic tumor but I didn't want an autopsy. He was less than 3 years old. After 5 months of caring for him in a ducky wheelchair in the house, and having him on my lap to dry him after water therapy each day, he was no longer a backyard duck. He was a well loved member of my family. Unfortunately, these things happen and with the dearth of vets able and willing to see a sick duck, all we can really offer is loving care with peer support from other duck keepers.

Keep your duck warm, calm and quiet. Give unlimited access to water, and hope for the best.

I am so sorry :hugsI know how hard it is to lose a pet duck
I don't know if ivermectin will help for watery poop with bloodclots? Can you post a picture of her poop please and is she having any other symptoms? how old is she?
Just pooping right after she drinks. It’s brown water. It will have a couple of black looking dots in her poop. Which I found out by touching were little clots.

Back
Top Bottom