80-90 chickens and 2 waterfowl with respiratory infections

fin-dachickmasta

Songster
Jan 15, 2022
I was too busy this spring and missed my usual time to clean the coops. Two flocks each containing between 40-50 chickens and one with a duck and goose. They started coughing and has water coming out of their eyes and mucus out of their mouth. They have slowed down on laying and I am getting worried about them. I did not catch the sickness when it first started and it got bad. now every bird has the symptoms. I cleaned the coops and am planning on moving them. I also made an herb concoction from the byc website. I will be adding vet rx to their water in the morning. is there anything else i can do? Do they have any chance of coming back? Some of the birds (19) i planned to sell. how long after symptoms subside do i have to wait until i can sell them?

Thanks in advance!

If you are wanting to sell any birds, then get some testing to find out what you are dealing with. You sure don't want to be selling birds that are carriers of respiratory disease.

Call your state lab and ask them how to send in some swabs for testing or you can use an independent lab for testing.
If you find that they do have respiratory disease, then close your flocks and don't sell, give away, trade, etc. hatching eggs, birds, chicks, ducks, etc.

If you are wanting to sell any birds, then get some testing to find out what you are dealing with. You sure don't want to be selling birds that are carriers of respiratory disease.

Call your state lab and ask them how to send in some swabs for testing or you can use an independent lab for testing.
If you find that they do have respiratory disease, then close your flocks and don't sell, give away, trade, etc. hatching eggs, birds, chicks, ducks, etc.
They all healed and the flock I was going to sell never got sick. I gave them some vet rx and lots of herbs.

Back
Top Bottom