$80 to put a chicken down?

I think it would be a very useful skill, to know how to put our animals down in a loving gentle way. They learn to depend on us for everything, and we should know how to put them out of their suffering. Not sure I can get to that point, but I think it is a necessary part of animal husbandry.

Sorry, but there is not a "Loving gentle way" to put down a dog or a cat, aside from taking them to the vet. Period.

There is no "DIY Euthanasia" for most domestic pets, and for good reason. There is nothing that is endorsed by the HSUS, the AVMA, or any professional medical organization.

It is hard enough for the layperson to euthanize a chicken without practice (I am a vet. And my first--and only--cervical dislocation was a terrible, awful, inhumane disaster).

You cannot cervically dislocate, drown, gas, shoot, or any other method that is compassionate and humane. You take your pet to a vet, period. I'm talking dogs, cats, whatever. Chickens are different, if you can stomach it. But that's pretty much it, and in retrospect, I wish I would have taken my chicken to a practicing vet and paid the cash rather than put my beloved hen--or myself--through that again. Money well spent.

I think it would be a very useful skill, to know how to put our animals down in a loving gentle way. They learn to depend on us for everything, and we should know how to put them out of their suffering. Not sure I can get to that point, but I think it is a necessary part of animal husbandry.

Yes.
IMO, if we do not have the skills or the temperament, then being prepared to compensate someone who does. is part of responsible husbandry - be that canine, feline, equine or fowl.

Sorry, but there is not a "Loving gentle way" to put down a dog or a cat, aside from taking them to the vet. Period.

There is no "DIY Euthanasia" for most domestic pets, and for good reason. There is nothing that is endorsed by the HSUS, the AVMA, or any professional medical organization.

It is hard enough for the layperson to euthanize a chicken without practice (I am a vet. And my first--and only--cervical dislocation was a terrible, awful, inhumane disaster).

You cannot cervically dislocate, drown, gas, shoot, or any other method that is compassionate and humane. You take your pet to a vet, period. I'm talking dogs, cats, whatever. Chickens are different, if you can stomach it. But that's pretty much it, and in retrospect, I wish I would have taken my chicken to a practicing vet and paid the cash rather than put my beloved hen--or myself--through that again. Money well spent.
I have to disagree to some extent. If you dog has been hit by a car, mauled by a predator, has a severe injury which will be fatal, and you have ANY degree of proficiency with a firearm, this is preferable to allowing it to suffer for what could be hours attempting to reach veterinary care. (We are 4 hours away from veterinary help at the least, should an injury occur shortly before the ferry’s scheduled departure. We get a maximum of 4 ferries per day here in summer). Ending suffering is the important part.

Our abattoir was licensed to dispatch cattle with a rifle until about three years ago... for meat, available for sale to the public, with the meat inspector present for the process. Properly done it is considered humane. We now use a captive bolt for the cattle as well as the sheep. There are clear standards set for the correct and humane stunning and killing animals.

If I’ve been fatally injured I would rather be quickly dispatched by a firearm than left to suffer and die slowly. I would want the same for my animals.

I have to disagree to some extent. If you dog has been hit by a car, mauled by a predator, has a severe injury which will be fatal, and you have ANY degree of proficiency with a firearm, this is preferable to allowing it to suffer for what could be hours attempting to reach veterinary care. (We are 4 hours away from veterinary help at the least, should an injury occur shortly before the ferry’s scheduled departure. We get a maximum of 4 ferries per day here in summer). Ending suffering is the important part.

Our abattoir was licensed to dispatch cattle with a rifle until about three years ago... for meat, available for sale to the public, with the meat inspector present for the process. Properly done it is considered humane. We now use a captive bolt for the cattle as well as the sheep. There are clear standards set for the correct and humane stunning and killing animals.

If I’ve been fatally injured I would rather be quickly dispatched by a firearm than left to suffer and die slowly. I would want the same for my animals.
Thats the point I was trying to make, there are lots of folks that do not have quick access to a vet, and I would not want my pet to suffer waiting hours to get to one. I do value my vet and all they have done for me.

My uncle who lives 2 hrs outside town in northern BC Canada came home two weeks ago to find one of their new barn cats had been attacked by a fisher cat (nasty large weasel type animal). I won’t go into details, but she was still alive and suffering greatly, anyone who’s seen a weasel kill probably has a good idea what I’m referring to.

How is extending her suffering for the two hour drive to bring her to a vet more humane than putting her down quickly with a sharp knife?

Don’t get me wrong I love my vet, they take great care of my pets, and I hope to be able to bring them in when their time comes.

On a related note, last year one of or border collies was very badly injured (she basically flayed her side and tore up muscle tissues on a sharp object) while herding sheep on a neighboring property we had permission to graze. Our WWOOFer was training to be an ER nurse in Japan. She was able to assist us with bandaging her up so well that the emergency vet asked which vet had done it before sending us there for the surgery. That was a $5000 CAD vet bill, but she is ok and enjoying her retirement (we don’t let her really work the sheep anymore, just enough to make her feel needed!)

Having basic veterinary and first aid training of some type is invaluable for anyone living more than 10 minutes from emergency services. It could save your pets life.

Thats the point I was trying to make, there are lots of folks that do not have quick access to a vet, and I would not want my pet to suffer waiting hours to get to one. I do value my vet and all they have done for me.[/QUOTE]
I agree, even if you live close to multiple vets it can still be difficult to be seen. One of my dogs once tore a 6 inch long and 6 inch deep gash in her side at 9am. I had to call 4 vets in the area before finding one that would sew her up at all that day and we still had to wait about 4 hours to be seen. The other suggestions from the vets that wouldn’t take us were to wait 9 hours until the after hours emergency vet in the area opened. (And I don’t have great experiences with them)

Basic animal first aid knowledge is valuable for anyone who has animals. My vet was more than happy to show me how to do things for my goats. She was an excellent country vet!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom