8th-annual-byc-new-years-day-2017-hatch-a-long

I'm in. Hopefully it ends up better than the 0 for 23 or so I had last year. Setting bielefelders and backyard mixes.

Those Bielefelders are big chickens! I had to let one go because I can only have a small flock. She was soo sweet! Loved her. Here she is not even a yr. old yet.

She ate a lot. :D Notice how close she is to me. She would always come up to me,
follow me around.

My gamble on 2+ year old Marans hens paid off. Got 3 for $20. They've been at my house for only 3 days, and one of them laid this today. They were in with a marans rooster at their old home, so the eggs I get should be fertile. Saving any from this week.

Those Bielefelders are big chickens! I had to let one go because I can only have a small flock. She was soo sweet! Loved her. Here she is not even a yr. old yet. She ate a lot. :D Notice how close she is to me. She would always come up to me, follow me around.
training mine to eat meal worms out of my hands

My gamble on 2+ year old Marans hens paid off. Got 3 for $20. They've been at my house for only 3 days, and one of them laid this today. They were in with a marans rooster at their old home, so the eggs I get should be fertile. Saving any from this week.

woot.gif

Seeing some great articles from this gal..here is one to ponder over.. Anyone want to chime in on what they use? I have used the shavings for yrs..but..having said that, I use straw in the winter because I do notice a difference in warmth, and, easier to clean. They are in there for the winter, not out free ranging, but I find I don't have quite the mess in there in the winter..what? Why am I not using this yr. round?

http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2012/08/straw-vs-shavings-my-choice-for-coop.html

One thing said in here that I don't agree with..that DE works. Hmmm..never had any luck with that stuff around.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom