8th-annual-byc-new-years-day-2017-hatch-a-long

The chickens seem happy my bf and his son think I need heat inside
the coop we are at a balmy 32 this morning

Last edited:
The chickens seem happy my bf and his son think I need heat inside
the coop we are at a balmy 32 this morning
They do not need heat at 32. Mine look so sad and wet this morning. I might get a picture of them out in the mud.

They are Mud chickens!

They do not need heat at 32. Mine look so sad and wet this morning. I might get a picture of them out in the mud.

They are Mud chickens!
Mine too!! Fortunately the rain stopped this morning, so they are just dealing with the water on the ground.... we're supposed to get to 61 today.

Started off with 21 eggs, had 4 not fertile, all of one kind (Buff orps I believe). 2 had blood lines at some point early on, saw them when I candles at day 7. The other 15 were still kicking when I went in to lockdown. 13 hatched, 2 didn't. I haven't examined them yet.

One of them zipped almost all the way through and stopped, still in there moving around but couldn't get out. After about 30 hours from when I first noticed the pip I took matters into my own hands. With about 45 minutes and a lot of q-tips I successfully got it out and gave it a little toothbrush bath to get the membrane off, acts fine now! Hopefully it will be a she and I'll get to keep her after all that work!

Ended up with
1 Spitz
1 silver laced Wyandotte
2 olive eggers
2 Lakenvelder
1 Swedish Flower
2 Langshans
3 Whiting True blue
1 Blue Wyandotte x Spitz (the one I helped)

Pretty good luck for my 2nd hatch I'd say!

Started off with 21 eggs, had 4 not fertile, all of one kind (Buff orps I believe). 2 had blood lines at some point early on, saw them when I candles at day 7. The other 15 were still kicking when I went in to lockdown. 13 hatched, 2 didn't. I haven't examined them yet.

One of them zipped almost all the way through and stopped, still in there moving around but couldn't get out. After about 30 hours from when I first noticed the pip I took matters into my own hands. With about 45 minutes and a lot of q-tips I successfully got it out and gave it a little toothbrush bath to get the membrane off, acts fine now! Hopefully it will be a she and I'll get to keep her after all that work!

Ended up with
1 Spitz
1 silver laced Wyandotte
2 olive eggers
2 Lakenvelder
1 Swedish Flower
2 Langshans
3 Whiting True blue
1 Blue Wyandotte x Spitz (the one I helped)

Pretty good luck for my 2nd hatch I'd say!

What a great mix!! Where did you get such a wild variety of eggs?

What a great mix!!  Where did you get such a wild variety of eggs?

I got lucky and went to go get a couple from a lady in Durham NC, and she had a whole variety of different kinds that were about to go past a week old, so she ended up just giving me majority of them. I got really lucky! I'll definitely be getting more from her at some point

Back
Top Bottom