8x30 American Coop (Carolina Coops) build - pix heavy

Maybe when she gets to be 5 or 6 weeks older the truth will be revealed.

Any tips for getting the girls out of the roost and into the run? We've tried holding meal worms just out of the opening and teasing with a bite or two, tried placing the snack on the roost steps, throwing just outside the steps so they can hear it, rustling the bag and dear wife even caught a lavender americana and took it into the run feeder and run water. It flew back into the roost.

This morning we took the feeder out of the roost hoping a little hunger will trigger exploration.

The best luck I have had so far is getting a lavender on the 2nd step but that was that.

What else?

Maybe when she gets to be 5 or 6 weeks older the truth will be revealed.

Any tips for getting the girls out of the roost and into the run? We've tried holding meal worms just out of the opening and teasing with a bite or two, tried placing the snack on the roost steps, throwing just outside the steps so they can hear it, rustling the bag and dear wife even caught a lavender americana and took it into the run feeder and run water. It flew back into the roost.

This morning we took the feeder out of the roost hoping a little hunger will trigger exploration.

The best luck I have had so far is getting a lavender on the 2nd step but that was that.

What else?
Chickens hate change - it will take time for them to enjoy their beautiful pen.

Yes, there's a ladder between the roost door and the run. So I grabbed a lavender (much more laid back than the blue americanas) and put her in the run. She was a bit freaked out for the first 5 minutes or so but hunger won out and she started to eat and drink. Another lavender came half way down the steps but went back in the roost.

It's a start. I'll put the feed back in the roost when we close up for the day since they haven't had much to eat all day.

Did some touch up caulking and painting so almost nothing left on my punch list.

Next is finding chicken bling for the coop.

Last edited:

I would leave the food and water in the coop for now, leave the pop door to the run open, and be patient. A few more days of staying in the coop will not hurt them, and they should go explore eventually (after they stare at it and think a lot.)

Lots of people have trouble getting their chicks to go back into the coop at night. The longer yours choose to stay in, the more they establish the habit of sleeping in there, so they may save you some trouble that way.

Good morning fowl peeps...

The ladder from the roost to the run has traditional steps like any ladder - here's a pix:

RoostRunLadder.jpg

Back
Top Bottom