8YR OLD COCKATEIL with wing issue??

bkreugar

Songster
11 Years
Jun 18, 2008
Asheboro NC
Its a saturday and I live in the boonies somewhat. DD13 woke up this a.m. to her very beloved cockateil having a wing issue. We don;t clip them. he is NOT his chipper self, the left wing he holds higher and closer. He can walk and open and close the foot, but when he just sits there he holds it up and out.I feel a sliglt bump when I run my hand down his back. He has eaten and drunk his water. He will strp up and flap the wings but he can't fly, and left to his own devices, he is huffed and trembling, with the tired eyes, which I take to be pain.

SO I THINK he has a wing issue, but I don't know WHAT to do for the poor guy. There are NO bird vets in town, and the ones in the nearest town are just ALL small animal vets, no one spealizing in birds. I am at a loss.

So I don't know WHAT his issue was, But I took him from dd's very cold air conditioned room . I put him in a largish box with paper towels so I could see just how much he was eating/drinking/going to the bathroom. I had him in the sunroom which is the warmest room in house.
Sunday he had eaten ALL the food I had in there/ gone to the bathroom about 5 times/ NORMAL looking. NOT huffed up and he wanted OUT!! Back to his chipper self so I took him to DD. Boy was he happy to see HER, all chirpy/happy. She always has him with her and it was their first night apart. So he mis much better BUT he still can not fly. He flaps the wings, but just falls.

SO I got to think SOMETHING happened to him in her room, and he got shocky. SO me taking him someplace warmer and tending him helped.
Sat I called my bird rehab friend and they said to not fly and hold it away from his body he probably does have a fracture. She says it WILL heal in time but probably he won't be able to fly after it heels. She said don;t let him flap as that will just undermine any healing. He is now holding it normally but again no flight. But he is almost normal, so I think he will make it. Closest avian vet is 90 min away.

Just wanted to update.

That is to bad there aren't any avian vets around! And I give them credit for trying but I've seen many a vet do more harm then good when they don't know anything about birds. For future: cockatiels need a warm environment- they come from the Australian desert so they aren't built for freezing air conditioned rooms. Make sure he's eating a healthy (fruit veggie and fortified "kibbles") diet and drinking fresh clean water. That will help speed recovery. Is his cage to crowded/small? They need room to stretch and flap. I hope he heals quickly! Lots of head scratches and kisses

Back
Top Bottom