9/11, 10 years later, what did you do?

kareninthesun

Songster
8 Years
Jul 1, 2011
Yesterday's church service was touching. With prayers geared towards all from 9 11, the music and sermon, we tied large yellow streamers outside, had smaller yellow ribbons, both of the sizes printed with "We will remember 9 11". I printed up photos with heroes of all kinds from and following 9 11, including service dogs. There were also photos geared towards hope. That was hard to decide on. Every picture to a story, how in the world could I narrow it down without feeling like the integrety of what happened was less than what it was? What was chosen, I set up in different areas, all on 4x7 photo paper, and left up until everyone had time to reflect. They were able to keep whichever ones they wanted, the idea being that once home, the photo chosen would be kept on a refrigerator, by the computer, in their car, somewhere where they would remember...say a prayer.

This picture of the cake was taken in the kitchen right out of the fridge, but placed in its place of honor outside among the rest worked as a place to honor and remember.

Then I had a class meeting, treated my son to lunch, gave away my ribbon after hearing a story from a young lady sitting next to us, went home and watched the memorials on tv.

On the 10th anniversary I watched the film 9/11 In Plane Sight. (no, my film of choice does not mean anything offensive to the subject)

I'm not religious and my life is, umm, not too social lately so that was about it.
hmm.png
No gatherings or such.

I'm still in the hospital, so did not do much. DH and kids came over for the day, we held the babies, had lunch, just enjoyed family. DH is home this year, and for that, we will forever be thankful.

We had special prayers during Church, and sang God Bless America afterwards. I took my kids shopping for new clothes, we had dinner with my mom, and then we were going to watch "United 93" but the dvd player seems to be dead so instead we watched the documentary on CBS about the two filmmakers who were intending to make a movie about a rookie firefighter but instead ended up right smack in the middle of Ground Zero on 9/11.

Choice of dvd was because we are taking a field trip to the Shanksville site in a couple of weeks, but the tv program was very powerful and moving.

Oh, and of course we flew the flag.

Quote:
Whatcha in the hospital for? I hope you're okay!
hugs.gif

C-section from the twins, born on Labor day. I was just really pretty drained the last few weeks, would drop my O2 sats if I moved too much, so they wanted to keep an eye on me. Then of course, I wound up developing an infection because I'm apparently allergic to the external suture material. So blech, I'm punky feeling, but getting better.

Hopefully released tomorrow. If not, I may be rattling my tin mug against the bars....

Thomas and Patrick are both fine, big chunky monkey boys
big_smile.png

Quote:
Whatcha in the hospital for? I hope you're okay!
hugs.gif

C-section from the twins, born on Labor day. I was just really pretty drained the last few weeks, would drop my O2 sats if I moved too much, so they wanted to keep an eye on me. Then of course, I wound up developing an infection because I'm apparently allergic to the external suture material. So blech, I'm punky feeling, but getting better.

Hopefully released tomorrow. If not, I may be rattling my tin mug against the bars....

Thomas and Patrick are both fine, big chunky monkey boys
big_smile.png

congrats!!!!!!!!!!!! Take it easy, once you get home, don't think there will be much rest going on!

Was at work it seemed no one remembered 9/11 !! It was another day & given it was a full moon people were grumpy & demanding. So many have forgotten & instead are unyielding in their sense of entitlement. All day I saying a prayer to survive the day come home , settle down with DH. We watched a great movie , settled in for the night. Closed out the evening with a prayer for those survivors , & families who lost loved ones.

Spent the morning with the kids watching the memorials and discussing what was going on.

Spent the afternoon helping MIL with her church picnic.

Spent even more time thinking about how sad it is that we had so much shared willingness to give then and it all came to nothing.

Glenn Beck's 9/12 project would make so much sense if he didn't take it down such a dark and self centered path.

Back
Top Bottom