9/12 eggs hatched. Will some still hatch?

Abbyandherchicks

In the Brooder
Sep 16, 2023
I had 12 fetrtile eggs. It is now day 3 and 9 have hatched. I’m waiting for the others to hatch but not sure if they will. I might have done the wrong thing but I felt one of the eggs under my broody hen and one was shaking and moving around, and it was still warm, I don’t know if it was chirping or not but does this mean it will hatch? What should I do? I have to move the chicks and mum into a brooder as soon as possible. There is poo all around them at the moment but I can’t clean it so I really have to move them. I don’t want to move them to quickly or the other eggs won’t hatch when they might still have a chance .

You can move mom, chicks and the unhatched eggs tonight. It's much easier to handle and move chickens at night because they can't see in the dark. When you handle the unhatched eggs to move them, make note of their position in the nest. After you move the eggs to their new brooder, place them back in the nest under your broody in the exact position you found them. This is because if a chick is in hatching position, it will maintain the same position after you relocate the egg. The chick in the egg that was shaking and moving around will likely hatch sometime tonight.

Have the nine chicks eaten/drank water since they hatched? Has your broody left the nest box to eat and drink the past three days?

The water and food has been inside the nesting box. The chicks and mother have had water and food since they have hatched. do you think the mother will still stir on the eggs if we move her. She isn’t that friendly and will put up a fuss whilst moving.

Since your broody and the hatched chicks have had food and water, I would be inclined to at least let her hatch that one last egg tonight. That is unless chicken poop is getting all over the broody and her hatched chicks. In that case it may be better to risk moving her. I would choose the health of 9 hatched chicks over one unhatched egg if need be, but make whichever choice you think is best.

Back
Top Bottom