9 day eggs showing moving chicks when candled need tips when they pop out

Kim t

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2016
South Coast, NSW Australia
Hi, I am new here. I have 3 adult chickens. A Suffolk who became broody and a friend gave me 5 eggs for her to sit on. It is nine days and I am seeing veins and moving little chooks in 4 o 5 eggs, one is a green egg which is dark to candle through.
I have never raised chickens so any advice will be appreciated.
I also have an Iza Brown and an Australorpe adults in a large pen with a tin shed where nesting boxes and roosts are. They are friendly and follow me around. Unfortunately the Suffolk is not so attached to me but is a bit better since brooding.

I have the Suffolk in a dog kennel cage in the shed sitting on the eggs in a small box with sugarcane mulch under them. There is a small bowl of water and a bit of food in the cage and I have the cage partially covered with a towel. She comes out twice a day to walk around, scratch and eat and returns after 5 mins to sit on her eggs again.
I have been keeping her and the eggs separated from the other chooks and also to keep visiting mice and a Diamond Python snake who visits my pen and occasionally eats the mice and steals eggs away from them.

I have a larger cage I can put the chickens in when they hatch.
Should I keep the hen in with them. Any suggestions on food.
I am on the south coast of NSW Australia...Tapitallee and it is springtime here. 12 degree nights and 18-20 daytime. Wedge-tail Eagles and Grey Goshawks are a problem for free ranging so my girls only get outside the large pen when I am home to watch them.

Hi and welcome to BYC! If you post over at Incubating and Hatching Eggs, folks there should be able to help you out. Best of luck with the hatch and thanks for joining us!
smile.png

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

Welcome & G'day to BYC, I'm afraid I didn't get farther along in your intro after I read about the diamond python that visits
th.gif
hide.gif

I know Aussies are a "plucky" bunch, I am not. You may also like to post on "Australia, six states and one funny little island."

Back
Top Bottom