9 month old duck never has laid any eggs

Sadie W

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2023
HELP! I’ve had one of my ducks for nine months and one week. She is very active and fun but the problem is she has never laid an egg that I’m aware of. Please help. I have fake eggs in the coop to help her get going, extra calcium in feed, and one of the other girls I’ve had for over a year lays them every day

Is it possible she is laying elsewhere? My ducks rarely lay in the duck house/nesting area. They lay under some plants in the run. Some people find eggs under the bedding.

Hmm, that's odd. Is she completely confined so you know she isn't laying?
I wouldn't necessarily be concerned yet unless she's showing symptoms that she's distressed in some way, but she certainly should be laying eggs by now. 🤔

Are you sure it's a her? What's the diet? Have you looked for hidden nests? Why do you think she's not
Yes I’m sure it’s a her I used to have two mean males that would always be going after her and my other girl along with all my babies. I got rid of them a while ago and they have been much happier her diet consist of all flock feed with extra calcium added in because my one girl would lay thin squishy eggs they get mealworms a lot because one girl is always begging for them and whatever they find outside during the day. She doesn’t have any hidden nests because we check all the spots we see them disappear to during the day to find nests but there are never any. And now that I have been thinking about it there was a time about four months ago that there would randomly be an extra egg in the coop that I just thought I forgot to pick up the day before but maybe it was from her but now there hasn’t been one of those in a while.

Hmm, that's odd. Is she completely confined so you know she isn't laying?
I wouldn't necessarily be concerned yet unless she's showing symptoms that she's distressed in some way, but she certainly should be laying eggs by now. 🤔
my other layer will only do it in the coop and at night during the day they are completely free range but they choose to only stay by the coop and by the house when they have a whole farm we check for hidden nests all the time but we only find them when it seems they just made themselves comfortable and took a nap in the shade.

Is it possible she is laying elsewhere? My ducks rarely lay in the duck house/nesting area. They lay under some plants in the run. Some people find eggs under the bedding.
We have checked many times all around. My other layer only lays in the coop in the same spot every day even when the bedding is changed

my other layer will only do it in the coop and at night during the day they are completely free range but they choose to only stay by the coop and by the house when they have a whole farm we check for hidden nests all the time but we only find them when it seems they just made themselves comfortable and took a nap in the shade.
If it were me I would lock her up for a couple of days to find out for sure if she's laying or not. Really if they have access to the great outdoors there's no guarantee you're gonna find eggs they lay.

Back
Top Bottom