9 month old hen seems broody

KayKayCakes

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2017
hello! My 9 month old hen has been acting broody for a week or so, laying on her and her sisters eggs and spending most of her day there in the nesting box. I can remove her but she goes right back in as soon as she gets access. I believe she is an Araucana. She seems healthy. Is this unusual for a hen her age? I was under the impression hens don’t go broody so young. Thanks so much for any advice!

Not unusual. Do you want her to hatch eggs? If not, you might want to look thru threads on How to break a broody hen. Because she will probably not give up on her own.

Its not unusual, but give but if it was my case i would give her less eggs than usually i do give to incubate. As such to test how mother she is, good one or the bad one(trial round). And also the first time mother are amateur in mothering. So good luck with her. Keep updating the hatching :jumpy

It's not unusual for her age my then 7 month old partridge silkie hatched her first chick Christmas day and my current 8 month old white silkie is hatching out today. If you want chicks let her brood. If not then you will have to break her from it if she's broody her mind is set.

Not unusual, my 7 month old Black Australop went broody after the first clutch of her eggs (a month after first egg laying). Broke her by putting her in a small cage hanging 6 inches above the run floor w/ food and water, was successful after 3 days. And she went back laying after couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom