9 month old Plymouth Rock shows no signs of laying

snusnu95

In the Brooder
6 Years
I have four chickens that are all approximately 9 months old. A Light Sussex, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Lavender Araucana and Plymouth Rock. The other 3 are laying quite well and frequently (it's actually winter and we get roughly 2 eggs a day). However our Plymouth Rock (who is bottom of the pecking order) has a tiny comb and wattles that are light pink. Her colour seems to get washed out around her earlobes and they are a washed out pinky white colour.

This photo is a few months old but she hasn't changed at all since it was taken (back in April). Is she defective or just a late bloomer? Also even if she never lays we plan on keeping her until she dies, she is our pet.

She might just be a late bloomer. She doesn't look sickly as long as she's eating and healthy I wouldn't worry.

Hopefully that works. It is a photo I took today of her. She hasn't really changed. Also sorry it is sideways; my phone is a pain

Last edited:
in the past my barred rocks have started laying at 7-8 months old. well my new barred rocks just started this week at 4 months old. first time this has ever happened with me with this breed. I credit it with the new brand of grain I am using I started using poulin grain this year I switched from blueseal and I have noticed a big difference. they look a lot healthier and are developing a lot quicker. I am inpressed with poulin.

I have a Barred Rock who is at the bottom of the pecking order as well and she didn't start laying for approximately a year and to this day she lays maybe once or twice a week but I recently introduced more pullets into the mix which has caused her to be in the nest more often. Chickens are weird.

I have four chickens that are all approximately 9 months old. A Light Sussex, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Lavender Araucana and Plymouth Rock. The other 3 are laying quite well and frequently (it's actually winter and we get roughly 2 eggs a day). However our Plymouth Rock (who is bottom of the pecking order) has a tiny comb and wattles that are light pink. Her colour seems to get washed out around her earlobes and they are a washed out pinky white colour.

This photo is a few months old but she hasn't changed at all since it was taken (back in April). Is she defective or just a late bloomer? Also even if she never lays we plan on keeping her until she dies, she is our pet.
my barred rock is about this size and she's not laying yet.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom