My chicken still isn’t laying after 5 months is something wrong?

Officialchickensnuggler

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2023
Hey guys! My beautiful 5 month old lavender Orpington isn’t laying still! Four of our other chickens are a year old and they started laying at like three months old so I’m not sure why she isn’t! I guess we did raise the others from chicks and got her when she was like four months from a friend so maybe they didn’t do something right? She’s otherwise healthy!

Usually when chickens are moved it throws them off. You’ve had her for a month, I’d give it another month. My hen I got laid regularly till she was moved. When i got her she was almost a year and a half, she didn’t lay until a month and a half after I had her all settled in. She lays regularly now. I’d just give her sometime.

Hey guys! My beautiful 5 month old lavender Orpington isn’t laying still! Four of our other chickens are a year old and they started laying at like three months old so I’m not sure why she isn’t! I guess we did raise the others from chicks and got her when she was like four months from a friend so maybe they didn’t do something right? She’s otherwise healthy!
Different breeds and even pullets within the same breed can start laying at different times. The earliest I've ever had a pullet lay is four months five days old. Just yesterday I got a first egg from a cochin that is over eight months old (Thank heavens, I thought they wee going to wait until next spring.) while the other two haven't started laying yet.
Five months is still a bit young for Orpingtons, especially this time of year. think ours started around six months

That is totally normal! She just needs more time. It can take up to 6-8 months for some to start laying. Just give her time.

There really is nothing you can do, to really influence laying. If you are providing a good basic diet, and water, and have reasonable protection from the weather that is really ALL you can do.

They lay when they lay. If she is eating and active she is fine, and just needs more time. Often times orpington are not real great layers, as in everyday layers, and often start much closer to 6-8 months verse 4-5 months. BUT it really varies per bird.

Took my other chickens about 9-10 months to start laying. I have 1 Orpington and honestly I'm not sure if she's laying or not yet. I have 6 total hens and I'm getting eggs daily, just don't know who's giving them lol

Back
Top Bottom