9 week old EE pullet or cockerel?

What a color transformation!

EEs don't grow wattles (or if they do, I've never seen them!) so unfortunately, you're missing one thing to sex by. I swore mine was a pullet until about three months old, and the comb grew so slowy that I ultimately knew he was a cockerel by his feathering. I think yours could go either way, and I'd love to see photos in a few more weeks. :)

If it helps you at all, here's some photos of my EE at various ages:

View attachment 1910345 ^ I don't know the exact date he hatched, but he was still pretty downy here and was peeping like a chick, so my best estimate is about two months old.

View attachment 1910352
^ This is at about three months old.

View attachment 1910356 ^ This is now, at four months old. Very obvious roostery feathering and behavior.
Those are helpful pics! Very pretty rooster! I will post pics of mine when it reaches the 3 month age, so about two more weeks, then it will be easier to compare! Ee are tricky little birds.

She/he is now 15 weeks, do you guys think it's still a pullet or is it starting to look like a cockerel?
20191018_180106.jpg

She/he is now 15 weeks, do you guys think it's still a pullet or is it starting to look like a cockerel?View attachment 1938338
Holy cow ... The head and tail say pullet, but it sure looks like "she" has hackles and saddle feathers coming in ... I officially modify my earlier "pullet" vote to a "Now I'm confused" vote. This one's a nail biter. I'm with Mary ... until "she" drops an egg in your hand or "he" crows, there's no telling... but either way, that sure is one pretty birdie! :idunno

I’ve been watching your thread. I think it he/she is a gorgeous pullet. :D
They can be difficult to sex sometimes. I have a little male EE that looks similar to yours that I knew was a cockerel from the first week. However, I have another that is seven weeks old that is supposed to be a pullet and I have my suspicions she is a he.
Here’s a pic of my EE cockerel, the white one:
4114FFA5-1D5C-449E-9193-90D61B525ED2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom