9 week old hens don't love any treats!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Karen 2739, May 23, 2011.

1. Karen 2739

Karen 2739 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    San Diego
    I've been trying treats for the past few weeks. They don't seem to love anything or actually really enjoy any of them. I've tried celery leaves, carrots, oats, whole wheat bread, lettuce. Any suggestions? [​IMG]

2. cchase25

cchase25 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Oconomowoc, WI
    My 8 week olds love love love yogurt! I buy lowfat vanilla. When I first gave it I dipped my finger and they pecked it off that. Now they just chow down right from a shallow dish. Also they love dried meal worms! I mean love like crazy. Last night i threw them an ear of cooked corn on cob left over from dinner, already partially eaten, they really went for that too. Tried watermelon and it wasn't a bit hit but they did peck at it quite bit.

3. Backwoods Bntms

Backwoods Bntms Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Nothing will start a feeding frenzy like bologna except maybe a hot dog.

4. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    My 1 week Orpies just celebrated thier birthday with mealworms and grit. They loved them!

5. YYZ

YYZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    Maine
    Guess they all have their own tastes. [​IMG]

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Try some scrambled eggs chopped up finely or some strands of plain cooked spaghetti noodles. I haven't met a chicken yet that turns that down.

7. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    Quote:I fed mine some leftover scrambled eggs sunday morning.....It reminded me of the movies where people swim in a piraunha infested rivers and don't survive!!!
    My buff O was jumping belt high to try and get the zip lock bag of eggs from me.

8. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    My chicks came to treats very gradually. The only thing that interested them at first were mealworms and dandelion petals. We've now expanded the repertoire to include cut grass, lilac flowers, raw oatmeal, cooked spaghetti and bird seed, but they've turned up their beaks at most of the treats other people here have said their chicks adore. No to yogurt, strawberries, carrots, cabbage...I've tried a lot of different things.

Keep trying. And do try mealworms. It seems to wake up some primal "worm" frenzy in their little lizard brains.

9. Karen 2739

Karen 2739 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    San Diego
    Thank you all for your replies! I am new to this and kept reading how much all the chickens love their treats. It feels good to know it takes a while. I am going to get some meal worms for the weekend. [​IMG]

10. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    My older chicks didn't like treats like scrambled eggs, oatmeal, Cheerios....just raisins and some greens. Now, at 9 mos. they love them!
    Guess they had to acquire the taste. Actually, I think it was the textures of certain foods they didn't like.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by