9 week old juvenile drake, with sprained leg or flipper☹️

Roundlakeduck

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2018
Round Lake, NY
I looked at it and nothing seems broken. He does not seem uncomfortable or in pain other than that? He can stretch out his leg, and put a bit of weight on it, but is having trouble walking. He also can swim pretty well with it too. I think it happened in one of his many attempts at flying? It is his left leg or flipper. Nothing seems swollen and there are no open wounds. He can even use it too scratch his wing and face, it just seems he can not put pressure on it? I have separated him from his friends and he is in a pen with a water bath, duckling food, his stuffed duck toy and towels for bedding. What are the best home remedies ?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    475.6 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    473.9 KB · Views: 8
Hi my Drake had a problem similar to this where he couldn't walk on his leg. I felt no fractures or dislocations. I gave him brewers yeast on his food for a few weeks and he healed up very well. Brewers yeast has niacin in it which he was obviously lacking.
I looked at it and nothing seems broken. He does not seem uncomfortable or in pain other than that? He can stretch out his leg, and put a bit of weight on it, but is having trouble walking. He also can swim pretty well with it too. I think it happened in one of his many attempts at flying? It is his left leg or flipper. Nothing seems swollen and there are no open wounds. He can even use it too scratch his wing and face, it just seems he can not put pressure on it? I have separated him from his friends and he is in a pen with a water bath, duckling food, his stuffed duck toy and towels for bedding. What are the best home remedies ?

Hi my Drake had a problem similar to this where he couldn't walk on his leg. I felt no fractures or dislocations. I gave him brewers yeast on his food for a few weeks and he healed up very well. Brewers yeast has niacin in it which he was obviously lacking.
stupid question? The same one that is in the vitamin section at the grocery store? Or can I find a duck version Tractor I am new to ducks. I am very knowledgeable about our six chickens, but still learning when it comes to ducks .

It is common for ducks to get sore hips. they limp around for a few days and gradually it goes away..
best thing to do is to not "manually exercise" the leg. that just aggravates the joint.

It is common for ducks to get sore hips. they limp around for a few days and gradually it goes away..
best thing to do is to not "manually exercise" the leg. that just aggravates the joint.
Thank you, we have been resting it now for several days and he seems to be getting better day by day. I have bought a vitamin drop for ducks that has Niacin in it and have hidden it in his watermelon treat next too his food. He loves watermelon. So it gets gobbled up right away. His food and watermelon are next to his water bath so he can rest in it, and not go far for food. Don't laugh, but if I have chores to do, (which he usually follows me around for) I have been placing him in a dog carry pouch I have for my teacup poodle. Sounds crazy but he does not feel alone and loves being with Mom.

Back
Top Bottom